comment on medieval indian architecture

World architecture... what's happening generally....

comment on medieval indian architecture

Postby rajiv » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:01 pm

i wanna know what do you think about indian medieval architecture also ancient indian architecture
rajiv

Re: comment on medieval indian architecture

Postby Boyler » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:37 pm

I may be 15, but I think Indian medievel architecture looks great. I come from Ireland, so it looks beautifully exotic to me. I have a friend who is half Pakistani, so I'd like to know the difference between Islamic - Pakistani architecture and Hindu - Indian architecture.
Boyler

Postby rajiv » Wed May 11, 2005 8:06 pm

thanks for the replying man there was no pakistan and india at medieval time of india there was only hindustan
islamic architecture is based on axis directed towards the macca. central courtyard for praying(namaz) and common water body. and hindu architecture is based on hierarchy of spaces. mandap, ardha mandap, girbha grih.
it public, semi public and private(sacred) spaces.
it is also axis based but not toward any city but east
rajiv

Postby Boyler » Thu May 12, 2005 2:01 pm

Thanks rajiv for the message. What do you mean when you say semi public spaces?
What are mandap, ardha mandap and girbha grih?
Boyler

Postby sana » Sat May 14, 2005 7:47 pm

[
hi was just going thru this comment so i thought id just make it clearer islamic architechture is not just about axises directed towards mecca and not just the central courtyard is for praying . yes initially it did satrt with the concept of a mosque the concept of an open space for namaz but ofcourse it developed with time to a structure of a minaret and a dome of perfect balance and harmony ,none over powering another .then uses of water bodies and jalis(screens)thru which light pours in ,and then one majour element ,the arches all used to reduce the heavy effect produced by solid walls to give a light relaxed feeling in order to help concentrate and meditate in serach for GOD islamic architecture is very different from hindu architecture its like an outcome of two different civilizations.....its one of its kind and if u really get into it ,its breath taking the best example that i like to quote is the islamic architecture in spain .....Al hambra palace being the best and then in pakistan it is the entire walled city done by mughuls including the fort ,and the badshahi mosqu and a whole lot more...then in india i love the architecture of FATEH PUR SIKRI that is done by mughuls again(a ruling muslim dynesty: the architecture they worked on had complete sence of islamic concepts and elements that is y i mentioned them :no offence to brother rajiv) and there is sooooooooooooo much more.....
sana

Postby rajiv » Fri May 20, 2005 7:10 pm

see private is only owner or priest can go to that space but no other man of other cast can into that space. These are the most inner part of the temple.
Idol of God is placed in this area. All the ritual are conducted in this area.

semi private space is that spaces where brahmin(who was most learnt man in early days) and kshatriya(which are king and soldiers at that time) are allowed
till the mandap.these spaces were callled semi private spaces.

more public spaces were open for brahmins, kshatriyas and vaishyas(bussiness man and traders).

and shudras(who were cleaners of cities) were not allowed in the temple.

But now a days this system has been stopped but still girbhagrih(most inner part) only allowed for the brahmins.

if you wanna know more about inidan philosophy and architecture especially of temple architecture. tell me i will prepare report and send to you.
rajiv

Postby Boyler » Fri May 20, 2005 7:14 pm

Thanks again rajiv for the message.
Boyler

Postby PVC King » Sat May 21, 2005 2:02 am

rajiv wrote:if you wanna know more about inidan philosophy and architecture especially of temple architecture. tell me i will prepare report and send to you.

Rajiv,

I amongst many others on this forum would really like to see you inform us all.
PVC King

Postby shwan » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:39 am

rajiv wrote:thanks for the replying man there was no pakistan and india at medieval time of india there was only hindustan
islamic architecture is based on axis directed towards the macca. central courtyard for praying(namaz) and common water body. and hindu architecture is based on hierarchy of spaces. mandap, ardha mandap, girbha grih.
it public, semi public and private(sacred) spaces.
it is also axis based but not toward any city but east

I don't think you know what you are tlaking about raju.
shwan

Postby Boyler » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:12 pm

Why's that?
Boyler

Postby shwan » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:34 pm

You are basing your point of view solely on the ideology of the mosque. Islamic architecture is found in many other forms. That is like saying all indian architecture is based museums. Maybe you should research the topic a little better, as Islamic architectural influence could be found in many other areas.
shwan

Postby rajiv » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:37 pm

see i wanted your opinion about indian medieval architecture during that people asked me about islamic architecture . so i
explain wht i m having idea about it. so now you have to give some response to it
rajiv

Postby rajiv » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:51 pm

if any one want more photos and detail of indian architecture mail your email adress on rajiv_babalu@yahoo.com
rajiv

Return to World Architecture