Boston Ma

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Boston Ma

Postby burge_eye » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:41 am

off on a little jaunt to the US - anyone know of any architectural gems in Boston that I may not find in the guide books?
burge_eye

Re: Boston Ma

Postby Doug C » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:36 pm

i know u didn't ask for restaurants's but do try bob the chef's on columbus avenue off mass avenue-proper soul food and jazz

its in the general vacinity of the mad Prudential centre and their MoMa is a shortish walk further west (free on tuesdays if I remember)
Doug C

Postby modular man » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:28 pm

probably already on your list but you should see the carpenter centre in Harvard by Corb.
Also see the city hall, a big brutalist concrete building. dont know who did it but its pretty amazing
modular man

Postby Doug C » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:38 pm

Kallman McKinnell and Wood did the City Hall and a quirky train station in the west end of the city. There are 2 good books of their work in the Richview library.

If we are taking Cambridge now, its full of gems- chapel by saarinnen,student res' by aalto and holl, stirling african art museum, a great architecture only bookshop (near enough to the carpenter arts centre obviously), a new gehry and a new MIT building just finished by Behnisch + Behnisch (probably best to ignore this last one).
Doug C

Postby alan d » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:14 pm

Doug C's right MIT campus has all the best buildings particularly Saarinen's chapel.
http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/kresgec/kresgec.html

You should also be able to get into Aalto's student residence.

Beacon Hill is well worth a visit as is IM Pei's John Hancock Tower. Though the building itself is pretty unremarkable the view from the top is excellent.

Warren Street is composed of typical bowfront buildings and is complete since it was built in the 1850's
alan d

Postby burge_eye » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:45 pm

Many thanks!! Still one day to go tho so any further suggestions gratefully received.
burge_eye

Postby ofoughlu » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:55 pm

too late for the november trip but... in case it helps anyone else...

i'm a little biased, but i also highly recomend the MIT campus; it has lots of contemporary stuff as mentioned above. in addition to the aalto and saarinan and gehry, there are recent new buildings by roche dinkeloo and stephen holl (though i've yet to meet a fan of the holl building). the rest of campus is dotted with gems, a couple of i m pei buildings, and a charles correa project (under construction) . there are regular tours of the mit campus, and architecture oriented walking tours every month or so.

if you have a car you could visit the gropius house in lexington; it is now a museum and will be in the guide books. next door marcel breur's own house, and another one or two breur designs, wont be in the guide book; while they are privately owned you can see them from the road.

a new bridge, the leonard zakim bunker hill bridge, is fantastic, designed by christian menn. its on I-93, and is difficult to miss; you can see it from anywhere in boston or cambridge.

also check out the sanders theatre at harvard.
ofoughlu

Return to World Architecture