hadid to build in glasgow

World architecture... what's happening generally....

hadid to build in glasgow

Postby space_invader » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:48 pm

Zaha Hadid has been selected by Glasgow City Council to design the city's new transport museum on the banks of the Clyde.

The news has been welcomed by the media and even provided the basis for a leader column in the Herald.

richard roger's bridge is currently being tendered too.

I wonder,

are the local architects excited :D or disgusted :mad: at the prospect of the city's global image being bent into shape, not by them, but by 'starchitects'?
space_invader

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:30 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby alan d » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:29 am

alan d

Postby space_invader » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:55 am

gotta say on a purely visual basis, i prefer ther hoskins scheme, although it does look a wee bit too scandanavian for glesca.

but zaha's smelted lump, or one of several 'silver darlings' glasgow has (acccording to the leader in the herald, the others being, the science centre, imax and armadillo) more similarities with a souped up dragster car engine made in detroit.

That's the trouble with this icon game - it makes you think in purely visual terms. and it leads you to draw increasingly bizarre comparisons as you attempt to nail the vibe of the design.

that said, i also gotta say that i'm pretty excited about hadid daein her thang in glasgow - she's always been a fave creator of mine - and i love how strongly she has branded her work and herself. amazingly, too, much of her architecture is proving to be successful in the traditional manner - tho her work at cincinnati was pure modernism and nothing to do with 'deconstruction'. who cares - its a great design.

but her transprt hub in switzerland, with the chaoticly places parking spaces, each marked with a vertical post - nice!

yeah - good call, scoring zaha for glasgow, from a fanboy point of view anyway.

tho i did think her submitted visual was a bit crap.

hope she doesn't get lazy with this one and hand it over to hiroko and sacha, those lovely, international penniless assistants she keeps under the A0. (actually i'm sure they're quite capable but i want hadid on site by the clyde - i like the image)

i noticed by the way, that hadid's office has been looking for a russian speaking 5years + experienced architect to do some russian job or whatever - lost in translation etc. it's been advertsied for months. they obviously cannae find the right punter(ski)

think she'll need a linguist for glasgow?
space_invader

Postby alan d » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:14 pm

Scotland.............just one damn fluid form after another.
alan d

Postby space_invader » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:48 pm

LOL! (laugh out loud, in case you didn't know)

man, is there anyone else in this recently annointed micro-democracy (scotland) who is able to comment on architectural matters!? (no offence alan, just wish your peers would put themselves on the line occasionally)

supposedly hoskins came second.

why is that the scottish teams (architects) always come second?

and i wonder if the council bothered to consult the public this time. they made such a fuss last year with the bridge competition (the last 'starchitect'-sponsored council stunt), declaring they'd quizzed the locals. i suppose the show at the lighthouse went some way to convincing skeptics that this was indeed a genuine effort.

but this time, what? nothing. correct me if I'm wrong.

anyway, at least its not gehry.

on another note:

can't believe they're gonna give him the rias best shlep in scotland prize.

it's so obviously a pr stunt to put wur nation on some kind of global design hotspot map.

maybe they (rias, visitscotland, the executive, THEM!, whoever...) could laser-print some tartan on to the crinkly roof as well. make it look like a metal kilt instead of a vermeer skirt or whatever pish he said it was.

ah, the life of the international architect.
space_invader

Postby alan d » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:12 pm

ach.S.I.................. you know that the RIAS Prize is the one thing I can't comment on.

Other than to assure you that, according to my partner
El Presidente, the very best scheme will win.

Why do scottish architects always come second....because failure is part of our national characteristic. Great losers............ fighting to the end. Fucking horrible to be like that, cannon fodder.

Of course............ it could be that the Hadid scheme was actually the best, there's always that possiblility.
alan d

Postby alan d » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:22 pm

gullibility.....that's another national trait. Oh, and taking at face value all you're told.

Would vote Nationalist if they were'nt such a bunch of purse mouthed advocates in poor fitting suits and bad haircuts.

Facile..that's another. Wha's like us , eh?
alan d

Postby space_invader » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:30 pm

Well at least your football team beat opfer logan 7-1!

i'm great at staying on-topic, me.
space_invader

Postby alan d » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:34 pm

crikey.....don't get me started on football. Particularly as Scotland are playing the mighty Muldova tonight.

Where the fuck is that by the way? Could that be where Dick Van Dyke went with Chitti Chitti Bang Bang?

Complete ignorance on matters of international geography .........there that's another
alan d

Postby space_invader » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:38 pm

Peter Sellars invaded it.

It was part of the Sov a while back. Declared independence from Russia.

Alan, that soundbite:

'Scotland.............just one damn fluid form after another.'

that's a great title for an essay about the scottish scene or whatever...
space_invader

Postby atlee » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:10 pm

Desperately trying to tie these threads together, Glasgow is in danger of becoming the Real Madrid of world architecture. Lots of high publicity big name signing, mention of huge sums of money and photo-calls of the Galacticos in tartan socks (don't think Liebskind has totally devalued the notion of 'New York is the only club I ever wanted to play for' cliché).
Invariably when they turn up, their spouses keep the Italian Centre in business for a couple of months while the big name signings turn out to have been the choice of the Presdidente (no not that one) leaving the coaching staff to work out where they can realistically fit in a crocked striker with his best years behind him.
A few more row z'ers and a couple of homegrowns might a better bet if we're to keep our 'world city hawking it's wears' league status. Any takers?
atlee

Postby space_invader » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:29 pm

yeah - ken whit ye mean but 'real madrid'? i think Glasgow's architectural patronage is more akin to the goings on in the Scottish premier div.

The big guys only do stuff here once there rep is established and their power has begun to fade (Foster, Rogers, laudrup, gazza, junihno)

there's loads of talk of current hot players (toyo Ito) coming to the city but we all know the 'clubs' (selfridges) who are trying to sign them don't really think it's worth their effort to bring them to scotland (celtic, rivaldo)

and we have scots on the shortlist in the same way the selik and the gers have scots on the bench.

but i take yer point.

and aye, the italian centre; it would never have opened if it wasn't for souness and his revolution.
space_invader

Postby alan d » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:03 pm

Now just hold on a minute S.I. If Hadid can turn that collection of folded bus tickets into a workable museum well good luck to her.................... and I'll eat my fucking hat. Concept, eh? Postcard view, eh? what a laugh

Also the laughable "analysis" of his and his rivals work in the recent New York World Trade Centre Project documentary indicates clearly, to me a least what a bunch of up their own arse, egotistical, nonsensical, anti-architectural chancers these starchitects actually are. All in view at the Arsenale. Thought I'd wandered into the concept model room for Alien 5.

I've heard Issey Miyake is now opening in Glasgow, Atlee.......... by the way. Just one damn flowing form after another, right enough. Clothes for the fuller figure.
alan d

Postby space_invader » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:16 pm

can see the headlines in a few years, building not finished and glasgow low on pies:

'folded bus ticket' design now more pricey than parly

however, at least the bus-ticket concept references the museum's content: transport. and the ticket metaphor suggests a journey of some kind. obviously, it has been thought about, quite a bit.

wonder: think glasgow'll milk the iraqi connection? i'm sure the press will. when work is halted on site:

transport museum is 'depot of mass disruption'

should be fun.
space_invader

Postby alan d » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:27 pm

"however, at least the bus-ticket concept references the museum's content: transport. and the ticket metaphor suggests a journey of some kind. obviously, it has been thought about, quite a bit".

Never considered it like that S.I. now you come to mention it , it's utterly brilliant.............my first thought though was it was like a discarded snot rag, like the stuff washed up after a high tide.............. but that would have been just too clever.

Sometimes you can stretch a metaphor too far
alan d

Postby space_invader » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:49 pm

actually alan d, if your interpretation is correct (discarded snotrag) then perhaps Ms. D-KonstruKt has effectively mined the psychology of the city - a town full o' soapdodging, flem-filled heart-a-golds.

actually - it might be a soapdish.

but where's the soap?

not a question asked much round these parts, i know.

ach well, so much for the informed debate as volunteered by the Scottish architectural community.

too busy with their cedar cladding details, i spose.

by the way alan, you can never take metaphor too far - an bdp insider recently confided that the science centre and tower was based on a dead body lying next to a giant syringe. very govan. very clever.

and really quite beautiful.
space_invader

Postby Hugh » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:32 pm

Hmmm...Starchitects....galacticos...footballers' wives....architects' partners!

Got to be a TV series in there. Though probably only on cable. Or maybe CCTV tapes.
Hugh

Postby space_invader » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:39 pm

yeah, The wildest grand property champion's location location swop ladder league of wives videos in the world.

s'on next thursday, after eurotrash.
space_invader

Postby Hugh » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:34 pm

Nina Libeskind...Ruthie Rogers...Lavinia Grimshaw...Patti Hopkins...Elena "Dr. Sex" Foster...Amanda "Future Systems" Levete...

script writes itself.
Hugh

Postby modular man » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:47 pm

where can i see the Hadid design ? (presumably "Hello" magazine going by the direction of this thread)
modular man

Postby alan d » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:22 am

"Lavinia Grimshaw" ....................now I know you're joking.

Sorry Modular Man....can't trace it so far. Tried Hadid's website...........wore me out. Life's too short.

Hello Magazine, eh......... very funny. Had a look at my wife's Vogue this morning though, they're all in there David A , Foreign Office something or other......... so it's not such a giant leap ,I guess
alan d

Postby space_invader » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:12 am

and now kevin mccloud has replaced waldemar janusczak for a LIVE broadcast of the stirling prize.

It's official. architecture is now popular.

But not THAT popular! - a live broadcast on a saturday night? shame morecambe and wise aren't around to present it. is mike yarwood still about? anyway, i thought it was far cosier on a sunday.

as for david A: his 'beautiful' colleagues modelled women's fashion in top style bible.....the.........er financial times. so there.

Back to zaha indeed: I wonder how the judging worked; was there a weighting towards deliverability as was apparently the case with the glasgow bridge competition? supposedly rogers' financial strategy and project managment team all helped sway the decision his way. (unsurprisingly, post-holyrood, financial acumen is now a major issue which has to be seen to be transparent. public clients must show that, for the forseeable future, cost control is the most important issue when building, with other concerns, such as aesthetics, and other intangible variables irrelevant (‘especially when it leads to ugly buildings like the parliament’ comes the cry of the daily record’s readership)

Other point: while hoskins images suggest a fair degree of planning and sectional design has been conducted by the public school teenagers in his office, zaha scores with a 'post card view', rustled up by a brooding 24 year old in a polar neck (serb?)

i'm hoping the other designs will be made available by the city faithers sometime soon, so that some kind of comparison can be made.

This competition was kinda under the radar a little. Didn’t generate the media interest or architectural debate that the bridge did – yet the short list was perhaps even more stellar than the bridge list. It almost feels like the other air-milers didn’t submit.

Wonder what wee danny’s design was like?

Why doesn’t the lighthouse publish all the unsuccessful scottish competition entries of recent years? And let me edit it?

Eh, lighthouse?
space_invader

Postby space_invader » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:11 am

couple o' pics o' the zaha scheme in aj this week and it includes a section which shows that the 'fluid form' is actually a 'traditional' boatyard shed section which has been extruded and twisted on the xy plane.

maybe you can get em on the aj plus site?
space_invader

Postby Villeneuve27 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:31 pm

Hadid Glasgow Transport Museum #1

Hadid #2

Not much to go on really...
Villeneuve27

Next

Return to World Architecture