Terror-proofing Freedom Tower

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Terror-proofing Freedom Tower

Postby Samizdat » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:14 am

Based upon the "9/11 Commission Report," which of you feels confident that the new Freedom Tower, shamelessly erected on the footprints of the World Trade Center towers, will be any more terror-proof than they were?

By the way, I hear that Chicago chiropractors who've enjoyed windfall profits from folks working at the Sears Tower whose desks face away from the windows, are expanding their operations to Lower Manhattan.
<embed src="http://www.indybay.org/uploads/rescue_me.mp3" autostart="TRUE" hidden="TRUE" loop="FALSE">
<noembed>
<bgsound src="http://www.indybay.org/uploads/rescue_me.mp3" loop="0">
</noembed>
Samizdat

Re: Terror-proofing Freedom Tower

Postby PVC King » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:11 pm

Originally posted by Samizdat
Based upon the "9/11 Commission Report," which of you feels confident that the new Freedom Tower, shamelessly erected on the footprints of the World Trade Center towers, will be any more terror-proof than they were?

By the way, I hear that Chicago chiropractors who've enjoyed windfall profits from folks working at the Sears Tower whose desks face away from the windows, are expanding their operations to Lower Manhattan.

Any employers considering locating in the upper floors of the new towers shouldn't hesitate to call me when hiring new staff :)

What I found even more bizarre than the above quote was the terror warning on the New York Stock Exchange recently, how could anyone fly a commercial airliner into a groundscaper like the Wall St exchange?

It wouldn't be physically possible
PVC King

Re: Terror-proofing Freedom Tower

Postby CLAIRE MURRAY » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:01 pm

it is impossible to create a terror proof building and this should not be the area of focus. instead we should be concentrating on fire proofing, evacuation planning and fire fighter operations. the 1996 channel tunnel fire, lasted for ten hours . casualties were avoided due to a fire proof emergancy tunne. should we look at this and design a similer tunnel to be used vertically in fruture skyscrapers. self absorbing materials aer currently being developed for the next geberation of crashworthy automative and marine vehicles. could the key units of this research be used in areas such as the core columns and shafts
CLAIRE MURRAY

Return to World Architecture