Final call for grand Nazi airport that saved Berlin from starvation
ALLAN HALL IN BERLIN
IT WAS used by Adolf Hitler as the springboard to barnstorm around the country in the days before he seized power. At the height of the Cold War it fed the city when it was encircled by the Soviet Union during the Berlin Airlift.
Now Tempelhof Airport in the centre of the city, the last vestige of the Nazi regimeâ€™s grand civil engineering projects, will close in October.
When it was built between 1937 and 1941 it was hailed as one of the wonders of the modern world, second only in size as an office complex to the Pentagon. The airport was part of Hitlerâ€™s architect Albert Speerâ€™s grand plans for the German capital.
According to Hitler, Berlin was to become the capital of Europe and be renamed "Germania" by 1950, with Tempelhof being the continentâ€™s main airport.