Barcelona

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Barcelone

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:35 pm

Due to the miracle of a wonderful girlfriend, I am being taken to Barecelona in a fortnight... to see a proper football game, food, drink, lifestyle and the architecture....

My first time so OUTSIDE OF GAUDI, any most-sees architecturally?

Only going for four full days... one of which will be spent around the Nou Camp.... and don't want to spend the entire time on the subway or buses....

afterall a 20 minute subway trip is a coffee wasted
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Rita Ochoa » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:45 am

enjoy your trip but stay away from spanish coffe (not good!) ;)
Rita Ochoa

Gaudi is great, but Barcelona communicates

Postby trace » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:51 pm

A yomp across Montjuic (Olympics & Sert's Fundació Miró), followed by a cable-car descent to the foot of La Rambla and on to Barcelonetta for a splendiferous fish supper . . . Get up there by way of metro to Catalunya, a hot - fortunately short - stroll to the Mies pavilion (yum-yum!) and escalator from there on up to the top of the hill. A Sunday morning in the depths of the Barri Gòtic, the medieval city, is sheer heaven . . . mmm . . . And Camp Nou (Our Field) is the best theatre in Europe (pay no attention to begrudgers) - only don't buy a ticket in the Gods or you'll need binoculars to see what's going on (it's windy up there too, with litter blown into your face!) - the football/basketball museum is wonderful, with Koeman's boot that won the European Cup and mementos of Cruyff, Lineker, Stoitchkov, Romario, Ronaldo and Rivaldo (don't dare mention the 'white angel' Figo!) . . . Makes one downright wistfull . . .
trace

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:12 am

cool... is the Richard Meier gallery worth seeing? don't want to drag her goodself all over the city on an architectural oddessy ;)
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby trace » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:21 pm

No - on this sad night and all others.
trace

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:31 am

unfortunate result alright
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Rita Ochoa » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:42 am

Don't forget also:

. Museu d'Història de la Ciutat (City History Museum), with a subterranean path through excavations of Roman and Visigothic ruins... Spain is a younger country then Portugal but Barcelona has a over 2000 years History

. "L'Auditori" (a concert building) by Rafael
Moneo

. The Gran Velvet disco, a huge night club designed by Alfredo Arribas

. The Fundació Antoni Tàpies. On their musuem you can find exhibitions of modern and contemporary art from all over the world. The building and it's modernization are also very nice

. The Mies Van Der Rohe Pabelló is a must but don't expect minimalist images... IT WILL BE CROWDED!

. At Barri Gòtic stop to hear the street musicians for a few moments... the musicians and the accustic of the streets and plazas is fantastic

. The Torre Comunicacions by Calatrava

. The Palau St. Jordi by Arata Isozaki... try to get inside it

. Do a walk to the Platja de la Barceloneta (Barceloneta beach) to enjoy the nice weather an see the L'estel ferit (I think that's the name) an "architectural" sculture. No way you won't see it

. Gaudi. You can find information about his buildings everywhere. One advice: if you are afraid of heigths don't dare to go to the top of the towers. On a sunny day the Parl Güell is an excellent option

. The open city markets... you can find very nice cheap stuff. There are also antiques markets

. For the food go for the fresh mariscs, the paella, the gaspatxo, the tortillas (spanish traditinal "fast-food") and the tapas (the tapas allow you to try a lot of diferent foods in small portions). To improve the quality of the meals try to get some red or withe portuguese wine ;) ... Again, avoid the coffe

Ah! And don't stay at a place called "Tamashiro" at the Rambla... I remember my bad experience.
La Rambla is probably the most famous street of the city and if you find acomodation there you will be at a walking distance of the subway, main buses and a lot of bars and restaurants where you can enjoy the great spanish night life.

Myself, I'm leaving to Seville tomorrow for the weekend :)
Rita Ochoa

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:02 pm

Cheers

am really looking forward to this now and the weather is supposed to be okay which hopefully means lots of sexy blue sky photos for archiseek.com

hmmm tapas
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:00 pm

Gauditastic....

man this is great....

Am almost all modernista-ed out.....

Lots of very sexy photographs for archiseek.com
Hoping to eat in a restaurant in a Gaudi building tonight.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby ro_G » Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:33 pm

any interesting stuff on the adapted Gaudi WTC design. Interested in how much the Spanish media got behind it.
ro_G

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:59 pm

Jaysus only took around 400 photos. Reckon I have some really good ones of buildings as well as 'arty' ones. Must now start writing up the descriptions for "Archiseek: Barcelona"
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:46 am

Not finished yet:
http://www.archiseek.com/guides/spain/catalunya/barcelona/index.html

Still have two rolls that somehow didnt get scanned onto disk at development time.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby garethace » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:10 pm

Paul, why not commission a really expensive top-notch web designing genius, to record your trip for all time? Just kidding, but you may enjoy this format of presentation here

Brian O' Hanlon.
garethace

Postby ro_G » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:29 am

Just back from Barcelona - what a trip, great city to walk around.

Noticed a massive phallic Gerkin-esque building by Jean Nouvel hanging around the skyline, almost completed. Pretty big at 142m, but so much more blunt than Le Sagrada Familia on the skies eyes. Immediatley wondered whether it was Foster pulling a sneaky one - who already did the Torre de Communicació de Collserola - which, lets be honest, is just a big ariel with viewing towers.

Great city to experience architecture for the non-architect, the whole Gaudi experience really gets under the skin

Joan Miro though - a one trick pony or what - "Bird and Woman" Versions 1-100. Pah!
ro_G

Postby what? » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:52 am

miro was a great painter, dont be such a philistine. as for the miro foundation barceona, in my opinion one of the finest art galleries in the world.
what?

Postby ro_G » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:07 pm

Used to think similar myself on Miro, seeing the odd work in isolation. Found it hard to muster much appreciation after visiting the Foundation though. I openly dismiss any artist (or even architect) that creates work that requires so much interpretation (note I say so much, I agree that something should be left to the viewer). 50 odd years of Woman and Bird though?

Spanish Civil War as Woman and Bird? Nah.

The gallery is nice though.
ro_G

Postby lexington » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:00 pm

Though Barcelona is not solely Gaudi, there is no denying the spectacular contribution he gave to his city. What never ceases to amaze me about the Sagrada Familia is not least the existing structure - nor the detail afforded each completed work - but what is yet to come (and will unlikely see final realisation until 2023 or 2043 depending on who you talk to). The final product is something I wish to be able to see in my lifetime. :)

The intricate and relentless detail of the Nativity Facade is utterly astounding:
Image Image

Image Image

Beautiful Parc Guell - a housing development so right it went wrong! ;)

Image Image Image
lexington
Old Master

Re: Barcelona

Postby islam_samir » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:27 pm

Fantastic Details
islam_samir

Return to World Architecture