Was Mies a Nazi?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Was Mies a Nazi?

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:43 pm

Interesting suggestion from Hugh
"a slight tweak in the space-time continuum, and Mies could have been another Albert Speer. "
http://www.hughpearman.com/articles4/nazi_mies.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby IIT » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:38 pm

It's simple: Mies was an artist - an artist who sought to bring to fruition the aesthetic possibilities of steel and glass construction.

What people do not appreciate in Mies, is that his work was built on an idea, not on a passing fad.

He wanted architects after him to "stand on his shoulders", not simply copy him.
IIT

Postby matijaner » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:01 pm

Well, architects generally try to please their customers, but also try, at the same time, to make some of their Ideas alive. And so He did, he brought an idea to life while pleasing the people he worked for. I, personally don't belive that Mies was a Nazi. Besides, I haven't read anywhere that he spoke for Nazis or anything like it. Yes, He did work for them, but what percentage of architects wouldn't bring an idea, or a concept to life, if posible, then to say: "Hell, I ain't gona work for them, their politics is bad!"
No, Mies used the opportunity to make great architecture, like most of other architects would.
Mies was simply an excellent architect.
matijaner

Return to World Architecture