Twin Towers Replacement

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Twin Towers Replacement

Postby GregF » Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:13 pm

Saw on the news last night the replacement proposals for the World Trade Center..............seemingly the New Yorkers rejected the last six....... and rather lame and stumpy they were too.
This time there is a magnificent proposal from that auld codger of an architect......that most and well deserving venerable Brit......Sir Norman Foster.......what a great landmarkish proposal.
GregF
Old Master

Postby fjp » Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:29 pm

saw it too.

insane - but excellent. completely different from anything I'd ever seen before. and that might be the only way to go...
fjp

Postby DavidF » Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:46 pm

Check out - http://www.lowermanhattan.info/ for images and info on all 7 proposals
DavidF

Postby ew » Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:09 pm

The standard of this batch of proposals is much much higher than the previous rubbish. I particularly like the sky gardens in the SOM proposal but there's loads of great ideas in the details of each proposal (you can read in the slide shows). Good website - thanks DavidF.
ew

Postby dpower » Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:31 pm

Although I am a fan of Fosters work, and I think he has pushed the boundaries of architecture and technology with this project- I can't help but feel that it's architecture for architectures sake rather than a memorial of an atrocity.
Beyond the aesthetic of the building, and the creative use of technology, I don't feel that there is a valid concept behind the design. How does it commemorate the dead? I think replacing the towers with what is essentially an updated version of them lacks depth.
Even the two beams of light that currently haunt the NY skyline at night surpass this proposal in terms of conceptual thought.
Did anyone see anything that really brought the weight of the event to the forefront of the design?
dpower

Postby lostcarpark » Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:19 pm

Here's another idea, which I rather like:

http://www.wtc2002.com/

Not sure how it relates to the others I don't know - seems to be one group off doing their own thing.

The original batch of ideas were all totally uninspiring. The new ones certainly have a lot more to offer. I did rather like the "shadow" momorials, for example. I'm also glad to see memorials that incorporate theatres and other "living" spaces. Memorials are all well and good, but they can become dead spaces, rather than a celebration of the lives of the people whose memory they are dedicated.

James
lostcarpark

Postby GregF » Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:09 am

For a memorial ......well what can one do.....the names of those murdered inscribed on a marble wall....... flowers, darkness, solemnity.....a sculpture maybe.
Jesus thank god too they did'nt go with that park idea.
I think Fosters proposal is a 21st century version of the original Twin Towers and would'nt it look striking on the Manhattan skyline. A tribute to all those who died ...and that little Japanese architect who designed the original .....alas all dead but will never be forgotten.
Any chance of getting the auld codger to do something in Dublin....then again maybe not ....his design would probably be straitjacketed by the marvellously great unenlightened and unwashed Irish public.......thats Bleedin ' Stupit'....they'd say......Man U forever...Tony Blair for Taoiseach....or whatever..........such is the irony of Ireland.
GregF
Old Master

Postby ew » Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:50 pm

I must disagree with dpower. I think of all the proposals the memorial aspect is handled best in the Foster Entry.
"The voids" look like they would be a wonderfully quiet and reflective place to be. You would feel very cut off from the city and your whole focus would be on the sky.
I'd like to see it for real. I wonder if they considered incorporating the ghosty light towers with this one? Could be cool.
I'd quite like to see the tower too, It ran a close second to the SOM in the architectuaral competion in my head.
ew

Postby dpower » Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:48 pm

I just feel like "the voids" were a bit of an after thought.
Norman: "why don't we build two new high tech toweres?"
Some lacky: "what about the memorial aspect?"
Norman: "er, we'll just leave some space free and think about that later"
dpower

Postby cajual » Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:11 pm

for me the Think team one is the most impressive, a unique memorial for a unique challenge. It allows for expansion over time within two extremely elegant structures.
in general though the standard is poor. Fosters building is pretty decent but i would say more suited to Hong-Kong than New York. Its probably the most likely candidate for success but its just so.... 'ok'. Thats the thing about Foster i guess ,everything he does is really good and clean and functional and it just gets boring!
cajual

Postby ro_G » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:37 pm

just back from the site a couple of days ago, i don't think a green space as in the Foster Plans would fit particularly well, however, i could see a paved open space working well.

Interestingly, the globe monument they relocated to battery park (battered and bruised from the explosion would be nice to be moved back in as a centrepiece in an open paved area.

http://www.gideonsoftworks.com/MWNY2002/Day2/Pages/Image2.html
ro_G

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:45 pm

The battle for Ground Zero.

In big architectural competitions, the strongest, simplest image is always meant to grab the attention of public and media. On this basis, Lord Foster of Thames Bank, better known as Norman Foster, had already won the world's plum commission, to rebuild New York's Twin Towers, when his design, one of seven international contenders just before Christmas 2002, was unveiled. It "has success written all over it" sneered Herbert Muschamp, the New York Times architecture critic - who hated its un-American style and panned it as being more suitable for Singapore or Hong Kong. But it looked plausible on the skyline, where most of its rivals looked messy or gimmicky. Early American opinion polls put it ahead of the others. But in the politics of Manhattan, and particularly in the emotionally supercharged atmosphere around Ground Zero, nothing is for certain. Not only did Foster quickly lose ground to the subtler if less commercial designs of Daniel Libeskind and to the urbanistic and networking skills of Rafael Vinoly, but the truth is that none of these designs may ever be built.

http://www.hughpearman.com/articles4/nywtc.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby sherrioverseas » Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:17 pm

I'm having a hard time just looking at plans or thinking about how to fill that space. Still an emotional spot for me, almost losing a friend who was cycling to work at the towers at the very moment things went bad. Memories of my last night in Manhattan, at windows on the world, May 2001, remembering the muslim street vendors kneeling for prayer in Battery Park during the afternoon. Remembering the gorgeous, vast lobbies, and underground commercial labyrinth of the towers. Whatever ends up there, let it be emotionally tangible and not just a feat of art and engineering.
sherrioverseas

Postby FRANK III » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:01 am

Originally posted by DavidF
Check out - http://www.lowermanhattan.info/ for images and info on all 7 proposals

you can also check out NY Times and February's ArchRecord magazine for a spread of the proposals...

Frank III
FRANK III

Postby davsugi » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:00 pm

Hi Frank III,

Thank you for directing me to attached site.

Regards,

David.
davsugi

Postby CiaranO » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:13 am

CiaranO

Return to World Architecture