Urban Living

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Urban Living

Postby Aileen Coonan » Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:43 pm

Living in a flat or apartment, do you have any contact with your neighbours, or want to?
Aileen Coonan

Postby Juan » Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:04 pm

Actually I've been living in a flat in France, Spain and Ireland. And the only time I had contact with the neighbours was in Spain. That doesn't mean I did not try in both other country, but I might be not doing in the right way....
Originally posted by Aileen Coonan:
Living in a flat or apartment, do you have any contact with your neighbours, or want to?
Juan

Postby Rita Ochoa » Thu Mar 14, 2002 2:24 am

I always have lived in flats (Portugal and Switzerland) and I always appreciated the contact with neighbours... even if it is not to feel uncofortable in the elevators! Anyway, we are talking about people that we see almost everyday and where the lack of a chat about the building, the site or just the weather is weird to me.
Maybe this is easiest to understand on south european countries, where flats are a lot more usual and where, trough all the times, people spent more time on their sreets, outside their houses socializing with their neighbours.
Rita Ochoa

Postby Aileen Coonan » Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:06 pm

Hi thanks for your replies,
isnt it intersting that the Irish as a nation are supposed to be very "friendly", but I have found living an apartment in such close proximity to my neighbours that the most I have spoken is "hi". Any opinions or comments?
Aileen Coonan

Postby Aileen Coonan » Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:28 pm

Hi thanks for your replies,
isnt it intersting that the Irish as a nation are supposed to be very "friendly", but I have found living an apartment in such close proximity to my neighbours that the most I have spoken is "hi". Any opinions or comments?
Aileen Coonan

living in malaysia

Postby ycwong80 » Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:44 am

malaysia is still a developing country, n lots of the ppl here still sustain the sense of community among the society. perhaps it's the eastern culture here which encourages it. u still can find that essence in most of the parts of our country. though our country is formed by three main races, namely malay, chinese n indian, we still can live in peace. there's rarely discrimination happen in our country. hvr, in big cities like Kuala lumpur, individualism is a common norm nowadays, i think it happens in all the cities. modern cities ppl nowadays can hardly have anytime to spend their time with their family members, not to say neighbours....is it a phenomenon that can't be avoided?
ycwong80

Return to World Architecture