what about the new Euro ?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

what about the new Euro ?

Postby Rita Ochoa » Tue Jan 08, 2002 3:32 pm

what do think about the architecture exemples and the design of the new Euro notes? The brigdes do have a meaning but unfortunly their identification is not mentioned on the notes...

[This message has been edited by Rita Ochoa (edited 08 January 2002).]
Rita Ochoa

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Jan 08, 2002 3:43 pm

I understood that the bridges were designed to so as not to be identical to any known bridge to avoid national feathers being ruffled.

"Mais monsieur, ze Germans have two bridges on ze euro, where we have only the one testifying to the gloire de France"

"Hoi, mate, where's our bridge then, not good enuff for you? heh? eh? looking for a fight are ye?"
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Rita Ochoa » Tue Jan 08, 2002 5:12 pm

you might be right Paul but, for exemple, i can tell you exactly wich is the 500 euro note bridge...it´s from Portugal!!!!!!!!! The designs represent Europe´s history and all the links that EU wants to share with the rest of the world... not exactly it´s political intentions Image

[This message has been edited by Rita Ochoa (edited 08 January 2002).]
Rita Ochoa

Postby Jack » Thu Jan 10, 2002 6:37 pm

..............Oi Govner...the Brits ant init?
..............mmm I promise, I ain't schytzo.........unlike some. but to get back to the topic........the doorway on the €10 I think, looks Irish?.......they should have put the Ha'penny bridge on 1 of them....
Jack

Postby GregF » Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:14 am

.............the Brits are one of the most nationalistic insular races I've ever met (and they go on about the Irish being nationalistic) and the gas thing about it is they are far more European in blood than ever we are. However their contribution to the world of culture and architecture is immense, especially in the 20th century and fair play to them for that.

[This message has been edited by GregF (edited 11 January 2002).]
GregF
Old Master

Postby iuxta » Mon Jan 14, 2002 1:22 pm

I read that the seven Euro notes feature designs from the seven european ages, baroque, renaissance, mediaeval, modernist, etc.
The front features construction from the various countries, ours are the two windows on the 20 Euro note, which are from some one of the monastries or abbeys. The rear of the notes feature bridges from around europe. Ochoa mentioned the Portuguese one, the Pont du Gard is the large viaduct shown on the back of another. Maybe others could identify the rest of the buildings and bridges?
iuxta

Return to World Architecture