pathetic!

World architecture... what's happening generally....

pathetic!

Postby alan d » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:54 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2090-2015245,00.html

see the Tims are to blame again. Just one damn thing after another, this time it's St Vincent Street Church, next it'll be the invasion of Iraq then George Galloway on Big Brother,

Think they could also be behind Roy Kean's move to Celtic.
alan d

Re: pathetic!

Postby LOB » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:08 pm

LOB

Postby PVC King » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Wouldn't blame him for that

Cobh Ramblers had enough of Roy the last time

Although I'm sure that the locals in Cobh would settle for a church being left as intact as St Vincent St albeit in need of a little work
PVC King

Postby alan d » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:26 pm

Celtic drew 3-3 with Dundee United at the weekend.

Keane was on the bench. When it was 3-1 to Celtic, the manager turned to tell Keane to get stripped of his tracksuit and get on to bolster the defence but Keane was in the toilet, by all accounts, so the opportunity was lost and the game ended a draw.

I know this is not a football forum, but the comments from Stamp are pathetic. We're not mindless bigots here, sectarianism is a problem in Glasgow, no doubt about it but until now not one that was evident in architecture at all and I very much doubt if it ever was.
alan d

Postby ctesiphon » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:59 pm

Agreed alan d- for someone usually so measured and scholarly in his public utterances, Stamp's comments are bizarre.

I spent quite a bit of time in and around Glasgow in 1999 for the year of architecture and design, and I noticed that much was made of Thomson and his legacy. Nowhere was there any mention of sectarian bias etc- it was all about celebrating the city and emphasising that there was (is) more to Glasgow than CRM.
Though I didn't know Thomson or St Vincent Street before then I quickly became a fan- it really is a great building. (That basement entrance that seems carved from the rock is fantastic.) But I understood that another of his churches, in the Gorbals I think, was in much greater danger- maybe even roofless? My memory is vague.

His comments are slightly reminiscent of the 'belted earls' era of Irish 'conservation' when the fact that the great houses were the legacy of the Anglo-Irish ascendancy stopped our more...eh... 'patriotic' politicians seeing the houses for what they were- the fruits of a period of our history, built and designed by Irish craftsmen etc etc. I sometimes think that getting over that hurdle (we're almost there) has been the greatest achievement in Irish conservation, i.e. getting to the point where merit is the principal determinant. It would be a shame if such a mentality still prevailed in Glasgow (I can only take your word for it that it probably doesn't in architecture/heritage circles, which seems fair), but it is a shame that Stamp has seen fit to air his concerns. These can be tricky cans to close once opened.

One other thing- how much good can £1 million actually do? Especially when it took £5 million to do just the spire in the late 1990s.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby alan d » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:48 pm

thoughtful comparison ctesiphon and well considered......... but much more malicious when it's sectarianism and not nationalism that's the root of it I think. The fact also that the author waited until he moved to Cambridge and never made such a suggestion while in Glasgow is particularly spiteful, in my view.

£1 million is not much I grant you but so many building in the conservation area are at risk and need financial support .
alan d

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:31 pm

Gavin Stamp is a weird bird. I attended a lectire of his maybe 10 years ago in Dublin and afterwards was part of a group that went for food and a drink - he gets quite stroppy with a drink in him ;), drops the guard a bit. Put it this way, the real Gavin Stamp would be at home on a football terrace.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Return to World Architecture