RIAS Convention Glasgow

World architecture... what's happening generally....

RIAS Convention Glasgow

Postby alan d » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:40 am

Ahhhhhhhhh, Glasgow in May.................... what could be finer? :p

RIAS Convention goes to Glasgow

The next RIAS Annual convention, hosted by the Glasgow Institute of Architects, takes place on 5 & 6 May 2005 at Govan Old Parish Church and the neighbouring Pearce Institute. The first day of the conference will examine major new developments along the Clyde and present the City's vision for the regeneration of the waterfront. Friday, the main day, features a stunning line-up of international and UK architects including: Glenn Murcutt, Fumihiko Maki, Ken Shuttleworth and Gordon Murray and Alan Dunlop. The full programme will be available from the end of February and more details, as they are confirmed, will appear on the RIAS website at http://www.rias.org.uk
alan d

Re: RIAS Convention Glasgow

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:22 pm

Glenn Murcutt will be the one to watch then.........worth going for him alone, although RIAS conferences are generally better the further they are from your office.........
Bingo Bango

Postby space_invader » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:25 pm

so true.

but govan is a great choice.

such a rich psycho-geographic landscape.

you could always try taking the long way round on the clockwork oranj if you want the illusion of distance...
space_invader

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:02 pm

aye good one space invader, although i was meaning more the factor of time off work you know?

a day on the underground coould be fun/scary though
Bingo Bango

Postby cataclyzm » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:11 pm

well,

how ironic... Architecture conferences in Glasgow. I'm surprised they have the cheek to show their smug little faces after the destruction and social chaos orchestrated by the likes of: Sir Basil Spence.
Glasgow was one of the most beautiful cities in the UK, and now it looks like a Former Soviet Block military base with strange concrete towers. They really did try to eradicate the thoughtful scope and scale of the victorian planners and architects who actually gave a damn about community and human belonging to place. There are no words to describe the tragedy of these modern places and how so many unseen and unheard people were robbed of their communities by architects and planners.
Still: hopefully the nibbles will be to their satisfaction.
Robert kelly
cataclyzm

Postby space_invader » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:18 pm

yawn.

it's an architecture conference. not a heritage meet.
space_invader

Postby alan d » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:43 pm

well..............?
alan d

Postby cataclyzm » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:08 pm

well,

let's be honest....modern architecture is hardly filled with integrity and honesty or consideration for the larger community is it?
Architects don't build communties these days...simply landmarks to their own egos.

right or wrong?

well...?
cataclyzm

Postby space_invader » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:10 pm

yeah.

past equals worthy.

present equals cut-throat and idolatrous.

cataclyzm - I appreciate you may want a debate - but does it have to be this dumb?
space_invader

Postby cataclyzm » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:15 pm

the past is something that has been denied a lot of people in the city of Glasgow. Hence: a disparate and disconnected future.
The past is crucial to know where you have come from in order to make sense of where you are going. The products of Basil Spence et al and countless tower blocks destroyed that sense of belonging. So: I offer no apologies in simply stating that the past is important, because so much of the considerate and well formed communities the victorians built, no longer exist. Unless of course you live in Shawlands or the West End.

all the best
robertkelly
cataclyzm

Postby space_invader » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:32 pm

cataclyzm - i agree that a continuity which places our present within a past and points to a sustainable future is one we should all strive for. However, your blind allegiance to the past as if it were some utopian idyll is unsettling.

Firstly, 'modern architecture' - which grew out of the industrial revolution was very much focused on building communities - from corb’s parisian tower blocks to britain's post war housing estates, schools and hospitals. Admittedly, in the majority, it was not carried out in a satisfactory manner.

Secondly, could you give me some examples from the past of community building which best represent what you think is lacking in today's built environment? (please don't say New Lanark)

Thirdly, do you really think that up until the 20th century, big business was concerned with the community needs of the masses rather than expansion and profit?

Anyway, where does the past end and the present begin?

The RIAS conference setting up in Govan is a brave move - and I think that it will also focus on issues you are apparently most concerned about: rebuilding communities smashed by 20th century economics. (albeit you have subbed 'economics' for 'architects'). The very presence of 800 odd architects in a soon-to-be-revitalised urban dead zone should be seen as a positive move and not as an opportunity to slag the profession.

Wait until after the event if you want to slag it off. If it's as shit as you think it will be, then maybe I'll continue this debate. Otherwise, focus your argument, otherwise someone with more time than me will rip your grunts to pieces and you’ll wish you’d been a bit sharper with your comments.

ps. i did not ask you to apologise for stating the past is important.

all the best
space invader
space_invader

Postby cataclyzm » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:45 pm

Hi spaceinvader,

I certainly don't believe for one moment that the past was utopian. But in those days...people had one another. The social isolation that was created by these 60's tower blocks and modern planning is hard to quantify. How do I Know?

I remember places like Springburn and Bridgeton/dalmarnock/finnieston before the demolition began in the late 70s. For example, the people of Springburn were promised that the new motorway wouldn't cut their community in two. but that is exactly what it did.

I also remember places like Bridgeton that once thronged with people and life. We didn't have much in a material sense but were proud to belong to our parts of Glasgow. These places have been obliterated by the bulldozer and by modern planning and believe me: there are countless victims of loneliness and isolation where there was once so much to celebrate and be proud of. This isn't romance...this if fact!

I also grew up in High Rise flats so I know exactly what has happened to the people who lived in them. But I do have hope that we will learn from the mistakes of the past. But I feel sorry for the young people who were denied a place of belonging to somewhere and not just the lonely view from a 18th storey flat.

all the best
rkellly
cataclyzm

Postby space_invader » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:59 pm

Fair enough - your most recent post is a more sensible approach to this discussion in my haughty, up-myself, opinion. But those people who suffered in tower blocks - their parents suffered in disease ridden 4-storey slums - still i suppose they had eachother!

Yeah - post war Glasgow has its fair share of poor housing - without a doubt. And much of the specualtive stuff that is rising up today is terrible too. I suppose I was taken aback at your initial comment which seemed to blame RIAS for the Destruction of Scottish, or in this case, Glaswegian, society.

Building and social provision is far more complicated than the picture you painted in your first post. And there are many contemporary architects whose intentions are to design the best possible environments in which families and communities can grow and share.

Believe me, architects don't get paid well enough (and work far too hard) to be as smug as you think they are.

Most architects I know are in fact dreamers, idealists, wishful thinkers.

They are human you know.

ps. Have you considered that it may be clients whose aspirations have changed since Victoria ruled the universe?
space_invader

Postby cataclyzm » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:15 pm

Hi space invader,

It wasn't so much the fact that Victoria ruled the univers(lol), but rather that the people who lived at that time built whole communities. I don't know if you are familiar with Glasgow, but all of its many districts built in victorian/edwardian times, really where (and some still are) a marvel to behold. Swimming baths/libraries/schools/hospitals. They saw the whole picture and gave each district its own identity with knobs on. I believe in the future we will discover how important this consideration of community really is. Within each of us, everyone needs somewhere to belong to and feel a part of. I don't think modern planners/architects understood the importance of this.
I also truly believe that crime prevention and social responsibility don't thrive in the fragmented communities such as the colossal tower block schemes that still cling on in Glasgow and many other British cities.

Although of course, the poor have always been at the forefront of the irrascible changes of mankind, because even in Glasgow the still intact tenement districts are invariably to be found in more "fancy" areas. Such is the world and life.

all the best
rkelly.
cataclyzm

Postby space_invader » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:21 pm

so, cataclyzm,

do you still stand by your mean-spirited attack on architects for daring to host a conference in Govan?
space_invader

Postby Bingo Bango » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:23 pm

cataclyzm,

youve got a good point about building libraries and swimming pools etc alongside the housing. Given the chance architects would love to design like that too, but it's not really down to us what we design for a project. If we have a client who employs us to design x number of houses, we're gonna be out a job pretty soon after we come back with a proposal for 0.5x number of houses and a nice library and swimming pool on the side.

I think developers and clients in general have alot more influence on the actual make up of our built environment than achitects have.

i mean, all these really nice communities in shawlands or the west end etc, as an architect i couldnt possibly hope to afford to live in them!
Bingo Bango

Postby space_invader » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:02 pm

cataclysm,

you're not the R Kelly are you?

If you are, welcome to (virtual) Glasgow and I must say I'm impressed by your knowledge of Victrorian Housing in Scotland's largest city. I wish I knew as much about shit american r and b.

If you are not, then apologies.
space_invader

Return to World Architecture