Real Timber Frame.

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Real Timber Frame.

Postby bigjoe » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:38 pm

Restoration on BBC2.

winner

I had that as the winner a few weeks back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/restoration/
bigjoe

Postby GrahamH » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:52 pm

It was only featured on Tuesday!
But yeah, me too - it was always a toss up between the Working Men's Institute and this one. I'm glad it won, it was the combination of good architecture, amazing interior, a strong history, idyllic setting, and a strong community use that swung it, as well as that fantastic desk!
The Institute is an ugly building to the exterior, which partially worked against them - not that the 'ruin detectives' could bring themselves to say that of course (not going to even attempt spelling their names)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:59 pm

so was this series pbetter than the plast
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby bigjoe » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:45 pm

it featured in a regional heath a while back.

I thought the first series was much better. the final show last night reminded me of a cross between the final of big brother and it's an international knock out.

was in mid wales a couple of weeks back. amazing amout of those timber frames buildings knocking about.
bigjoe

Postby GrahamH » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:48 pm

I agree about the first series, it was better than this one. It may simply have been the novelty factor of it being the first of its kind last time round that made it so, but I think the buildings featured last year had more appeal, for me anyway - suppose everyone has their own 'type'.
As much as a worthy cause the Playhouse candidate was, it was a little more suited to Challenge Anneka than Restoration :)

The final, whereas a bit scatty and carried out beneath Heathrow's flight path, was excellently produced. The Palace looked great as a backdrop.

Wales is particularly good for timber framed buildings alright - lot of Victorian Tudor mixed in there too. There isn't a better place for unusual buildings than here, esp driving all the way down through the country.
GrahamH
Old Master

Return to World Architecture