how much do architects make?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

how much do architects make?

Postby juicytree » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:51 pm

I'm a final year architcture student in poland and will be acquiring my masters in september.After finishing school i hope to move to England to find a job and would very much like to find out how much money fresh out of school architects make in England? How much does it cost to rent a small apartment? and what are the chances of finding a job in an architectural firm? ( if the demand for young architects is high). Thanks
juicytree

Postby juicytree » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:29 am

Help me out here u guys:) no one wants to reply!! I just want to know if a young architect can make enough money to rent a small apartment, feed himself to the end of the month and take a beer or two in his free time:)
juicytree

Postby alistair » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:14 am

I know our firm (big in london, well respected, never out the journals) offered a very competent part II (straight out of uni in a similar situation to the above) £20k.. which is pretty shockingly low. she went elsewhere for more. I'd expect that if they aren't too picky about where they worked (housing or hospitals) they could get £23-25K in london £15-16 in Scotland (and dick murphy wonderes why we all move to london)

oh and chances of getting work are good (your spoken english will need to be pretty good though). rent is high. a room in a shared flat will be £400 per month MINIMUM £600 for something nice. a 1 bedroom apartment, reasonably central is £900 per month, most people share http://www.findaflat.co.uk/
alistair

Postby patrickwoodcock » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:14 am

I just got here from Ireland. I work in a great office, i earn £20k, it will go to £24k in january. I pay 400 a month for a really big double room to myself and that price includes all bills.
patrickwoodcock

Postby patrickwoodcock » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:15 am

Also try http://www.gumtree.com good for accomodation
patrickwoodcock

Return to World Architecture