Excitement In Swansea

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Excitement In Swansea Version 2

Postby Roger Evans » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:17 pm

Had difficulties first time round enclosing images & editing post so hence new thread

I hope these images come through ~ The Building is the second Technium Centre to be built in Swansea Docklands & one of the most exciting buildings I've seen for a long time.
It has already become one of Swansea's landmarks before it has opened.
Attachments
technium 2 r 3.jpg
technium 2 r 3.jpg (52.79 KiB) Viewed 917 times
Roger Evans

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:21 pm

what is it? offices? architect?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Roger Evans » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:53 pm

Technium is promoted to support business & attract investment
The buildings house some new high tech ground breaking technologies & new companies offering shared meeting / conference lecture theatres etc as well as office / lab space.

ie Exciting inside & out

The company my son works for will be moving in soon so I may be able to post some internal & other shots

Further info http://www.wda.co.uk/index.cfm//wda_home/technium/en4414

I want to check first on the architect and design team ~ hope to contact them tomorrow ~ I cannot find credits for the building design on WDA site & don't want to post without checking first with them.
Roger Evans

Postby Roger Evans » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:02 pm

The architects are

Kennedy James Griffiths based in Cardiff South Wales

web site is to be updated to include newer projects the link is

http://www.kennedyjamesgriffiths.co.uk
Roger Evans

Postby Craig Davis » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:20 pm

It seems quite ordinary to me; the usual run of the mill office block that you get in rejuvenated docklands areas; which responds predictably to context with the hackneyed use of porthole windows, curves and over-sailing roof.

Is reminiscent of Traynor O’Toole’s Dublin Port Terminal as well as the Dun Laoghaire Harbour Ferry Terminal by BKD.
Craig Davis

Postby Roger Evans » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:15 pm

It would be interesting if you could put images up to support your
point of view. I haven't seen either buildings.

If you think its ordinary then I would like to live where you are. But I doubt you will be able to point to more than a handful that come close.
Roger Evans

Postby Craig Davis » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:28 pm

Traynor O’Toole’s Dublin Port Terminal:

Burke-Kennedy Doyle’s Dun Laoghaire Harbour Ferry Terminal:

I’m not suggesting that Kennedy James Griffiths plagiarised either building. However it does seem to me to be an all too predictable response to a marine / dockland context.

The architectural moves appear quite dated, akin to dockland redevelopment projects that I’ve previously seen in early 1990s Architectural Review magazines. I can understand how a project like this may seem exciting in comparison to what may have been on the site beforehand; maybe a brownfield wasteland?

If you think its ordinary then I would like to live where you are.

I live in Dublin, but have lived abroad much over the years. This may be one of the better new buildings in Swansea; I can’t really comment on that as I haven’t been there yet. However in an international context I think this doesn’t cut the mustard in the excitement stakes.

But I doubt you will be able to point to more than a handful that come close.

Not really sure what you’re doubting here; is it whether I can point to more than a handful of similarly designed buildings, or examples of buildings that I think are of greater architectural merit?
Craig Davis

Postby Roger Evans » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:29 pm

I don't see any similarities at all between these buildings you posted & the Technium 2 image & I don't understand how you can remotely find them "reminiscent of".

I don't find either Ferry Terminal inviting, exciting or even disturbing. Whereas The Technium (for me at least) has an immediate identity, a greater sense of place, and is an intriguing building.

Yes it was a brownfield site ~ & Yes it is one of the better new contemporary buildings in Swansea ~ that's why I posted it.

I would be delighted to see examples of buildings you find exciting or you think more apt for the purpose & location

To say its run of the mill / ordinary ...well ...I can only conclude your post is just intended as a wind up.
Roger Evans

Postby Craig Davis » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:55 pm

I don't see any similarities at all between these buildings you posted & the Technium 2 image & I don't understand how you can remotely find them "reminiscent of".

I didn’t think I would need to join the dots on this one, but if you insist, they’re similar with regard to:
- architectural language; libreral use of circular geometry and curves, use of overhanging roof, as well as oversailing canopy at entry point
- materials; curtain wall glazing combined with render / masonry finish
- setting ; all are free-standing buildings in docklands, with similar landscape works
This isn’t an inherent criticism of any of the schemes, my point here is that what the Swansea scheme does is neither new nor exciting.

I don't find either Ferry Terminal inviting, exciting or even disturbing. Whereas The Technium (for me at least) has an immediate identity, a greater sense of place, and is an intriguing building.

Can you list specifically what you find so exciting & intriguing about this project, as perhaps like the over-sailing roof, it’s gone over my head.

I would be delighted to see examples of buildings you find exciting or you think more apt for the purpose & location

Buildings that I like in a similar setting & use to this would include:
- Heneghan Peng’s competition winner for an office block at Dun Laoghaire harbour:
http://www.irish-architecture.com/unbuilt_ireland/dublin/carlisle_pier/hp/index.html
- The Unibank HQ, Copenhagen by Henning Larsen
http://www.arcspace.com/architects/larsen/unibank/index.htm
- Esat BT HQ, at Grand Canal Quay, Dublin by De Blacam & Meagher
http://www.debm.ie/architects/index.htm
- ING HQ in Amsterdam by Meyer & Van Schooten
http://www.meyer-vanschooten.nl/

Other projects that I think are successful in this type of setting:
- Peter Zumthor’s Art Museum, Bregenz
- Rafael Moneo’s Kursaal Centre, San Sebastian

Others with same use:
- BTV HQ, in Wolfurt, Austria by Baumschlager & Eberle
- Eric Parry’s Finsbury Park office block in London
- Ernsting’s HQ in Germany by David Chipperfield
- Richard Roger’s Lloyds Registry of Shipping Building, London
- Offices in Penang, Malaysia by Ken Yeang

To say its run of the mill / ordinary ...well ...I can only conclude your post is just intended as a wind up.

If you’re going to take that tone, I could likewise conclude that you’re easily excited and need to travel beyond the confines of Swansea so as to see what else there is out there; something that may be a bit more exciting that the Technium Centre if you can handle it.
Craig Davis

Postby Roger Evans » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:42 pm

Hmmm ... Thanks for the links.. I am sorry but I don't feel much of anything for those .. I find them a bit too sterile .. I did like some of DeBM residential though.

I suppose we wouldn't like the same kind of music either..
but that isn't going to stop me listening.
Roger Evans

Return to World Architecture