Big Ideas in a Small Place

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Big Ideas in a Small Place

Postby aland » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:05 pm

http://www.murraydunloparchitects.com/

We've designed a new website...tried to keep it interesting but direct......easy on the eye but accessible and covering all aspects of the practice. No flim flam.

If anyone has any comments good or bad I will be happy to hear them:)
aland

Postby phil » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:15 pm

Maybe I should ask this on another thread, but I saw your Sligo proposal on your new site and I was just wonering what the state of play was with it at the moment?
phil
Old Master

Postby Andrew Duffy » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:34 pm

What's this with you posting as "alan d", "alan dunlop" and "aland" then?
Andrew Duffy

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:36 pm

nice site Alan, easy to navigate and enough decent content to make you want to. Might have gone for a different colour on the banner & menu bar though, but thats just down to personal taste.
Peter Fitz

Postby aland » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:54 am

Phil, Sligo is still very much a live project for us. In fact I'm working on a drawing right now. We're hoping for a successful and happy resolution soon.

Innocent enough Andrew, I can assure you. I first took an interest in Archeire in 2001 when we were shortlisted for Sports Campus Ireland ( remember that) and logged in using my full name but stopped after that project died.

About a year and a half later I re registered as alan d without realising my original loggin was still on record and while I was trying to respond to your posting both got mixed up somehow.

Paul has rectified the situation by mixing both and giving me a new user name: aland

:)

Thanks Peter, I was unsure about the banner colour myself when our web designer proposed it, blood red is "corporate colour" for us.....used on our letter head for example but one thing I've learned is when you commission someone to do work you should have confidence and let them get on with it. It has grown on me now I like it very much indeed
aland

Postby FIN » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:50 am

yea. it's very good. and the red is quite catching for the eye. nice and easy to navigate. well done.
FIN

Postby aland » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:54 am

.........and here was me thinkin ye were giving it a body swerve, FIN

Of course, sw101 has yet to respond.
aland

Postby phil » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:40 pm

Alan, are you familiar with the Dun Laoghaire Town Hall? The project which you are working on reminds me a little bit of the extension which was added to the original building (in that the older buildings in Sligo and Dun Laoghaire look quite alike). Anyway, thanks for that

Phil
phil
Old Master

Postby FIN » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:19 pm

body swerve????
FIN

Postby sw101 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:57 pm

Originally posted by aland
Of course, sw101 has yet to respond.

Can i have yeesan pang's phone number?
sw101

Postby sw101 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:38 pm

Originally posted by sw101

Can i have yeesan pang's phone number?

Well alan? what did you expect? A reasonable response?

The red gives the introduction page a certain reserved austerity that is probably appropriate. The white text over this is clear and informative, easing navigation, which is always a plus on a site where a user just pops in and out quickly...first impressions and all that.

Personnaly i prefer a long landscape format, as in you scroll left and right rather than up and down. this takes away the impression you're reading a well formatted word document and looks more like a constructed presentation.

Oh and...
"We design buildings in the belief that positive additions to the built environment act as a mechanism for positive cultural change in other areas. Architecture, especially in an urban context, should not be sidelined as a branch of style or fashion - because we are left with the effects of bad buildings for years, it is far more fundamental than that."

...the bullshit level is more than adequate ;)
sw101

Postby aland » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:24 pm

FIN, in Scotland we "body swerve" any thing we wish to avoid but get past............or give it a rubber ear.

I've passed your request onto Yeesan sw101 and hey, i'ts not only the Irish who can bullshit
aland

Postby sw101 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:20 pm

Please don't, my mot would have my head on a stick.

Keep us posted on sligo btw
sw101

Postby ro_G » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:40 pm

where there is no slide show available on individual projects, it would be better not to have the slide show buttons
e.g. http://www.murraydunloparchitects.com/projects/hotel-nottingham/index.htm

or indeed, when you get to the end of a slide show it should either tell you or return you to the start, its a bit frustrating clicking and not knowing if something else is to come
http://www.murraydunloparchitects.com/projects/crawfurd-theatre/index.htm

but on the whole, a good looking site
ro_G

Postby aland » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:22 pm

Thank you for all your responses, really appreciate it.

sw101, Yeesan is dead chuffed, of course that could be because I told her you were a 6ft tall, dark haired, strapping Irish Lad who looks a bit like Pearce Brosnan.........which you could be, I guess.

Phil, thank you too but I don't know anything about the buildings you are refering to in Dun Loaghaire....sorry.
aland

Postby sw101 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:39 pm

Thank you for all your responses, really appreciate it.

sw101, Yeesan is dead chuffed, of course that could be because I told her you were a 6ft tall, dark haired, strapping Irish Lad who looks a bit like Pearce Brosnan.........which you could be, I guess.

6'2" actually. not sure about strapping (in that i'm not sure what it means) i think "fine lump of a youngfella" has been applied more that once round these parts...

and no...
...not quite (thank jeebus), but the hair is pretty dark (just not as gay looking.

do you have a hit counter on your site? i'd be interested to see what sort of traffic you're picking up
sw101

Postby aland » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:15 am

The stats don't mean that much to me sw101

but according to our web designer we had 3823 hits on April 21st (the last day stats are available) from the USA, UK, Ireland and Australia........ oh and 1 from Cork
aland

Postby sw101 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:47 pm

The stats don't mean that much to me sw101

but according to our web designer we had 3823 hits on April 21st (the last day stats are available) from the USA, UK, Ireland and Australia........ oh and 1 from Cork

i'm sure they don't, but if you could pass them on to yer hot staff members for me i'd appreciate it ;)

4000 a day is good going... i think we get around 100 a day, and most of that is probably accidental...and no, i'm not going to put the webpage up, it's crap
sw101

Postby aland » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:13 pm

Took me by surprise sw101 if I'm honest....... April 21st was a peak day for some reason and I don't know why. Maybe coincided with some publication or other or my comment in the AJ about Libeskind, that Fin was refering too in another thread.

60 hits from Ireland on that day , I guess all related to Archeire so thanks Paul.

21st was also the day I posted the site on the forum.......though it can't all be related to that posting as only 218 are registerd as having seen the thread?
aland

Postby space_invader » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:44 pm

alan,

I'm sure if the admin staff had their photos posted, there'd be a flood of tel. number requests as well............

.....to take the pics offline!

remember please, space invader said this, not his real life avatar!
space_invader

Postby PVC King » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:58 pm

Money well spent,

You can go on about the banner colour and other trimmings ad nauseum but the site is well structured and delivers a good selection of photos and drawings quickly.

I presume the completed projects listed but without photos will be added to as time goes on.
PVC King

Return to World Architecture