glasgow bridge comp. submissions

World architecture... what's happening generally....

glasgow bridge comp. submissions

Postby alan d » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:33 pm

http://www.glasgowbridge.com/

Text and Images on line
alan d

Postby Hugh » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:25 pm

OK - match the submissions to the architects. Always fun. I like what I think is yours Alan, but I'm not going to say which in public.
Hugh

Postby alan d » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:25 am

well thank you Hugh. I think we're on a winner myself.

Of course the last time I felt like this positive was when Gordon and I and Jimmy Gibson of DCM sauntered into the Museum of Scotland for the unveiling of the Parliament submissions. Thought then we'd cracked it then. Five years and £400 million later, well the rest is history
alan d

Postby Michael Pat » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:46 pm

Thanks Alan, some nice ones there. It seems like a funny place for a bridge though, I wonder if it will make any difference to Glasgow having a bridge there. It's very close to the existing bridge which takes the traffic from the southside, and there's very little along there, just offices on one side of the river and almost nothing on the other. I wonder if it will just be used by some people from that red brick apartment development walking to work and then walking home again, but they could just use the existing bridge. I work near it on Waterloo Street but doubt that I will ever have a need to walk across a bridge there. Maybe the bridge will stimulate other developments.
Michael Pat

Postby alan d » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:59 pm

That's part of it Michael, to stimulate other developments on the southside
alan d

Postby mike s » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:29 pm

strange but two of the arch bridges look to me to be the same while neptunes way looks like the new bridge in newcastle that won the stirling prize without the wink . can you say which is your bridge and why is it a secret anyway, alan?
mike s

Postby alan d » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:04 am

..............It's an anonymous competition so that the designs will be judged on merit rather than the, in some cases, international reputations of the designers. Accordingly can't say and won't say which is ours

The big guns though are easy to spot, work it out for yourself Mike .
alan d

Postby alan d » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:18 pm

http://www.ajplus.com

See Foster's won a £1.2 billion airport project in Beijing, Paul.

Probably have to staff up then if he gets the bridge as well....maybe have to work a few nights.
alan d

Postby alan d » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:30 am

http://www.expedition-engineering.com/001.finalfinal_small.jpg

Nice bridge on the River Tees at Stockton........just when you thought you could not be surprised by another arch.

Expedition Engineering and Spence Associates
alan d

Postby mike s » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:11 pm

when is the bridge winner due to be announced alan? there is nothing on the website that i can see
mike s

Postby alan d » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:24 am

18th November, I think.

Though there will be a big exhibition of all entries in the Lighthouse at the beginning of December and there is talk of leaving the announcement til then, Mike
alan d

LIVING BRIDGE

Postby pepe » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:28 pm

A bit confused.

I dont see any reference to "living bridge" in the brief.

The only mentions are in the title of the other thread (Started by alan D)

in one of the schemes.

THe dragonfly one.

And in the evening times article. Which claims that the bridge will incorporate bars and restuarants.

This does not seem to be part of any of the designs, unless you count the river bank areas alongside?

Was this a freudian slip up on your part alan?

As far as the designs go.

I think

CLYDE9: Interesting Design. Doubt the funicular is really neccessary feasible or desired!
GLASGOWS MRROR BRIDGE: Tired old metaphors overlayed onto a standard piece of engineering
LATICE: Cannot even see the bridge in the image, floggin the make it green and natural (plant a few bushes) and everything will be ok
NEPTUNES WAY: A bit too similar to Wilkinson Eyre Millenium Bridge in Newcastle/Gateshaed. Pushes the idea that walking across the bridge is an enjoyable activity that should be prolongued, a bit too far. BUt could be an interesing experience. BUt seems like they have ignored the railway bridge?
PEOPLE CROSSING: More of a pontoon or pier rather than a bridge, very future systems. Again, Trees are not essential.
VIA:Very similar to clyde9 but without the coloured glass and the funicular.
Dont see neccessity for closing it off (the door/canopy)
UNless thats for the observatory?

IF i had to pick one. IT would eithe be The dragonfly or the pontoon.

the mirror, via, are obviously (from the image styles) the two big boys. and they dont really deserve it.
pepe

Postby what? » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:50 pm

the people crossing scheme is by far the most interesting (from what we can see on the web link). is it future systems?

i think it is a good aknowledgement that we may not need to celebrate structural gymnastics on urban bridges of this scale anymore. it was relevant in the past but not so much anymore.
i like the way it manipulates the commonly rigid bottleneck that is a bridge. taking into account route flows connections etc. a place in itself. i really hope this one wins its the only one with some thing relevant to say about a modern bridge.
what?

Postby alan d » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:02 pm

Winner:
Neptunes Way
Richard Rogers
alan d

Postby Michael Pat » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:16 pm

Have they announced the winner already? That's a strange one - does the curve go towards the kingston bridge or the other way? I still don't think a bridge there will make any difference anyway.
Michael Pat

Postby kvetner » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:18 pm

kvetner

Glasgow Bridge

Postby John O » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:49 pm

Interesting choice of design.

Is it sufficient to simply replicate the design of the Gatehead Millenium Bridge to encourage similar regeneration in the Broomielaw? How does one create a new icon from a pre-existing icon?
John O

Glasgow Bridge

Postby John O » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:14 pm

Interesting choice of design.

Is it sufficient to simply replicate the design of the Gatehead Millenium Bridge to encourage similar regeneration in the Broomielaw? How does one create a new icon from a pre-existing icon?
John O

Postby shadow » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:47 pm

A line = The shortest distance between two points
A Glasgow Bridge = The longest distance between two points
shadow

Postby Hugh » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:41 pm

Hmmm, a me-too response - choose the one that looks most like Gateshead, because that's an icon, innit? It's daft - people won't know which city it is when it appears on the telly.

Similarly East Anglia is now running a competition for an "iconic landmark". Angel of the East, perhaps?
Hugh

Postby alan d » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:39 am

http://www.news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1285392003

Can't think of anything more relevant to say Shadow that would be better than your quote.

Such a lot of energy..............
alan d

Postby what? » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:44 pm

wow, i didnt think that one would win it, sometimes life is very infuriating, i cant believe rogers let that out of his office, its a blatant rip off, does it move like the gateshead?

hard luck alan, maybe you should have have done a replica of the golden gate.

still think peoples crossing should have got it.
what?

Postby John O » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:52 pm

On a plus side, it does appear that we are approaching a typology for an Iconic Regeneration Bridge. In future, county councils will be able to simply reproduce the Gateshead/Glasgow model and not bother architectural firms with the expense and effort required to try to respond to spurious briefs that ask for "Iconic Structures".
John O

Postby shadow » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:07 pm

Is not one of the main tenents of sustainability is to do more with less, not less with more.
shadow

Postby mike s » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:48 pm

would it be possible to put your entry on the site alan i would be interested in seeing it. you may also like to know that there is a seafood cafe in oxford called neptunes way
mike s

Next

Return to World Architecture