Stirling Prize 2003

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Postby blacklion » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:13 am

So there just big thumb tac's. The building is having some sort of large scale acupuncture session help relieve its inhabitant of the pressures that face todays Selfridge consumer.
blacklion

Postby alan d » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:33 am

In truth blacklion, I don't know how they're fixed but the quality of the building seems to me to depend very much on the consistancy of surface finish

..........and you must admit the contrast between the building and the surrounding area makes a spectacular image and an iconic building, which is what the client, local politicians and people of Brummie were hoping for and anticipating.
alan d

Postby shadow » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:44 am

The Turas site is worrying. Maybe it is the way it is presented, but a project that is not utilised, other than a passage and a viewing platform, has no roof, no windows except for the occulus at the end is shortlisted for the sterling prize, when other buildings which seek to deal with architectural problems of windows and light, scale and context, weathering and use, tectonic issues of making and materials are ignored. It confirms the tendency to award (reward) projects that ignore people and place.
shadow

Postby alan d » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:02 pm

......yet An Turas will win the RIAS best building in Scotland, at least. I've no doubt about it and I'll be gutted for the reasons you mention shadow. It may even walk off with the Stirling Prize, would'nt bet against it. Apart from the bridge last year, the clear favourite never seems to win.....remember Grimshaw's Eden Project
alan d

Postby Hugh » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:37 pm

Excuse the namedropping, but it's worth it for the story. I was sitting at the Grimshaw table on the Stirling Prize night when the Eden Project, against all expectations and justice, failed to win. Picture the scene of H.M. Bateman-like exquisite embarrassment.

After a few moments' frozen silence, Grimshaw's partner Andrew Whalley turned and said "Oh well. At least we won the Hot-Dip Galvanising Award".

Alan is right: the favourite never wins. My money is on Tiree.

And next year, Selfridges Birmingham will be the favourite. So that won't win, either.
Hugh

Postby alan d » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:17 pm

If you can in Ireland, get a hold of today's Architects Journal. On the front cover is another building set in a rural landscape, this time in Skibbereen West Cork by Gumuchdjian Associates.

Absolutely Beautifull.........Stirling Prize contender? No.
alan d

Postby blacklion » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:15 pm

It extremely neat.

I'm wondering is there a toilet within that module or do you have to leg it back up the hill to relieve yourself.

There cant be a toilet, where would the waste go!
blacklion

Postby alan d » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:34 pm

Puttnam's like Royalty, he does'nt sh**.
alan d

Postby blacklion » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:51 pm

he's involved in film?
blacklion

Postby alan d » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:04 pm

did a lot with slow motion and the story of a poker up the ar** Edinburgh minister who would'nt run at the 1924 Olympics on the same day as "Gladiators"......... or something

You know the electronic accordion theme tune that ruined that Greek musician's career.......when the brit's were coming, before Terminator
alan d

Postby blacklion » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:15 pm

so he difinitly needs a quiet place, down by the river to chill out.

.. this thread was about the sterling prize wasn't it.

The Tiree project is also very neat, but not a Sterling winner.
blacklion

Postby Shark » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:56 am

...have actually been to see the tiree project recently and it seems to me that such a minimal intervention has completely managed to capture the spirit of the place and intensify it - rarely seen in other buildings - and all this without any windows or a roof!!
Shark

Postby shadow » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:15 am

The issue is not the quality of the work, but how do you compare the task or difficulty of deisgning a 500 bed hospital with an object such as turas. Without some scale in terms of critique, (what gymnasts and divers call level of difficulty- against which marks are awarded) award systems will tend to reward the special, small and precious.
shadow

Postby alan d » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:16 am

Shark, eh? sensing blood in the water .........where did you swim in from?
alan d

Postby proun » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:48 am

for an turas pictures? maybe try http://www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/tiree_full03.htm if you want a bit of quality. I'm not aka shark by the way.....
proun

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:08 am

For anyone who hasn't seen Bedzed

Can a zero-energy housing project win the Stirling Prize?

There is a part of Surrey that is just south of London, that is dangerously close to the "edge city" of Croydon, where run-down inter-war surburban housing rubs shoulders with the depressing half-timbered developers' offerings of recent years, plonked down into the scrubby remainders of what was once countryside. An in-between, Nowheresville kind of place. But here, the unexpected sight of rows of intriguing brightly-coloured rotating wind-catchers tell you that something unconventional is going on. They signal one of the shortlisted candidates for British architecture's grandest award, the Stirling Prize. And they might just represent the future of housing.

http://www.hughpearman.com/articles5/bedzed.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby proun » Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:39 pm

...maybe the radisson could be parachuted in from the RIAS Awards to the Stirling, seem to recall some precedent for this, unlike anturas it is mostly covered by a roof....http://www.murraydunloparchitects.com/case_radisson.htm.......http://www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/tours_sas.htm.....what about Ritchie's Plymouth Theatre, seems more robust than all that fluctuating pink of the Laban, why's it not a serious contender?
proun

Postby proun » Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:42 pm

the link seems to have morphed! try
http://www.murraydunloparchitects.com/case_radisson.htm or further reading at
http://www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/tours_sas.htm, over and out.
proun

Postby alan d » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:13 pm

generous thought Proun and I thank you for it.

Unfortunately, too much stinky water has passed under the bridge for us to get anywhere with the RIBA
alan d

Postby Hugh » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:55 pm

Stirling Prize announcement this Saturday Oct 12 (officially Sunday 13th on Channel 4).

And the polls are:

BBC Today Programme: Tiree and British Museum Great Court neck and neck.

Archiseek: Laban Centre by a mile.
Hugh

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:06 pm

Has anyone the videoplus no for the show? As I'll not be in the country but would like to watch it when i get back.....

will send the info on the poll to the mailinglist tomorrow and try and get a definitive vote....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby alan d » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:17 pm

Exciting init!
alan d

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:22 pm

on the edge of my seat alan... on the edge of my seat... ;) your turn will come....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Hugh » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:42 pm

Whoops, got my dates out of phase. The Channel 4 coverage of the Prize is this Sunday 12th, from 20:00 to 21:00.
Hugh

Postby alan d » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:12 am

fallen off my seat already Paul.......fallen off my seat.

As for my turn, a short sighted gynaecologist has better career prospects at the moment.

After three years of sleepless nights and my daughter wondering who the strange man who came home fcuked at night was, a brick built rendered shelter that couldn't accomodate a man with a bicycle let alone a bloke standing with his wife, two kids, four suitcases and his dug and stop the rain pissing on his head, three hundred yards from where he needs to get the ferry, is gonna beat us for the RIAS prize. God knows how Foster must feel.

Should have stuck with my first career choice in scrap metal.
alan d

PreviousNext

Return to World Architecture