Shortlist announced for Best Building in Scotland

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Shortlist announced for Best Building in Scotland

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:12 pm

5 Scottish buildings are competing for the UK's biggest architecture prize, the RIAS award for the Best Building in Scotland. The architect of the winning building will receive £25,000 - one of the largest building awards in the world.

The shortlist is..........

http://scotland.archiseek.com/news/2003/000006.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Michael Pat » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:52 pm

Any word on who won this? I didn't read anything about it.
Michael Pat

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:05 pm

The winner of the RIAS Award for Architecture - Best Building in Scotland will be named on Thursday, 23 October
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:45 pm

October 23 2003: An Turas, Tiree is the Best Building in Scotland 2003

An Turas, Tiree is the winner of the RIAS Award for Architecture, Best Building in Scotland 2003.

An Turas, a Scottish Arts Council funded project for Architect, Artist and Engineer to collaborate in making a structure for the island of Tiree, was created by Sutherland Hussey Architects with Jake Harvey, Glen Onwin, Donald Urquhart and Sandra Kennedy. The £100,000 project, completed in March 2003, was described by the judging panel for the award as " small, simple and sophisticated, reticent, refined and rigorous, a modern interpretation of the Gazebo and a stunning architectural experience".

http://scotland.archiseek.com/news/2003/000051.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby ro_G » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:45 pm

hmmm. it's a nice box all right but I doubt it will be there 30 years from now.

Can only imagine what the locals would say if you rolled this out on the Aran Islands!

pictures below:
http://www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/tiree_full03.htm
ro_G

Postby ro_G » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:47 pm

the more i look at it the more it appears to be a very sharp cold stubby scottish version of the tellytubby's house

http://www.sutherlandhussey.co.uk/images/lowres/tiree%206.jpg
ro_G

Postby mike s » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:34 pm

is this a joke? saw this building on channel 4 and it made me laugh out loud at the daftness of architects. what happened to the hotel in glasgow then?
mike s

Postby alan d » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:32 am

.......yeah, dead funny.
alan d

Postby Andrew Duffy » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:55 am

It's two walls and a piece of glass. There's more architecture in a bungalow. I think I'll try designing a bus shelter to see if I can get shortlisted for the Stirling Prize.
Andrew Duffy

Postby shadow » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:16 pm

This is what undermines trust in the profession. Perhaps categories of awards would be better, related to scale, complexity, levels of difficulty but really.

It is a very nice project but to be compared against those that have to deal with more complex concerns it is unfair....
shadow

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:37 pm

Whats the definition of a building. Should entries for awards have to have connections to services? ie sewage, power, water?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby alan d » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:03 pm

Definition of a building

You have to work on it repeatedly and for three years, minimum. night and f**king

The contractor needs to threaten you with legal action, putting your company at risk unless you stop insisting that things are done right.

You have to end up having fist fights with the mechanical and electrical contractor because his proposals are shit and then have to cordinate all the services yourself.

Definition of an Award winning Building

You have to have the arts establishment fund the project and have them therefor lobby on your behalf.

You can't submit a commercial building....any half arsed pseudo arts project will do, though.

That's about it, really
alan d

Postby LOB » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:59 pm

Originally posted by alan d
Definition of a building

You have to work on it repeatedly and for three years, minimum. night and f**king

The contractor needs to threaten you with legal action, putting your company at risk unless you stop insisting that things are done right.

You have to end up having fist fights with the mechanical and electrical contractor because his proposals are shit and then have to cordinate all the services yourself.

Definition of an Award winning Building

You have to have the arts establishment fund the project and have them therefor lobby on your behalf.

You can't submit a commercial building....any half arsed pseudo arts project will do, though.

That's about it, really

Nail on the head
LOB

Postby ro_G » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:10 pm

Originally posted by LOB

Nail on the head

or nail through the M&E bod.
ro_G

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:39 pm

Do you have planning permission for that nail? Have you consulted the local community about the impact of that nail on their locale? Well have you?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby mike s » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:05 pm

just for the record alan d i was in glasgow this week for the manchester united game with my mates and stayed at your hotel and we thought it was amazing and i don't know how you failed to win. who were the judges? architects? weird anyway.
the inside of the hotel reminded me of the hull a ship was that your intention and i could'nt get my mates out of the glass lifts ?
mike s

Postby alan d » Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:08 pm

Main motivation was a way of completing a big green building in the centre of Glasgow Mike......unless of course you were in the city to see the Gers last week, in which case it's the hull of a ship all right.

All water under the bridge though, now........
alan d

Postby mike s » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:37 pm

come to cowley alan then and do a big red building. we can have a glass box at the end with a stuffed sheep in it or dead shark or calf split in half. it will be a certainty for a prize! good luck with the bridge
mike s

Postby alan d » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:13 am

..........a crofter set in formaldehyde placed at the end of An Turas, eh?

Now that would have made complete and utter sense, to me.

All over now though, time to move on. Well done shark, you had the nuts all right, this time.
alan d

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:19 pm

Kind of high-handed of the judges...
"Judges say islanders will learn to love it"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/10/24/nshed24.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/10/24/ixhome.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby mike s » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:36 pm

that could be true it is beginning to grow on me. must sign off now, my nurse has arrived to give me my tonic and remove all sharp objects from the room
mike s

Postby shadow » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:14 pm

This is an unfortunate quotation. Kind of "the public just doesn't understand and they will be better off even though they don't know it". This is a big question for architects, how are we to be relevant if we cannot communicate the potential joy of architecture? If you are force to shelter in an artefact that does not in fact give shelter what are we to conclude? Since the structure would not have required insulation (fancy bus stop) and the span over the "passage" is small surely a minimal roof would have assisted in making it relevant. Also since I cannot judge by the photographs, suitably abstract, how it relates to anything local I cannot say it is too far, too close, in the wrong place or merely accidental to the function it was meant to relate.
shadow

Return to World Architecture