Choose which building you'd like to see restored

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Choose which building you'd like to see restored

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:47 pm

Vote for your favourite building
Posted on Tuesday, 9th July 2002 at 12:06 BST by James Welsh

Choose which building you'd like to see restored in a new BBC Two Pop Idol-style contest.

As bizarre as it sounds, this is actually going to happen. BBC Two controller Jane Root has commissioned a series entitled Restoration, a joint project between the BBC and Endemol UK. Ten one-hour programmes will go around the United Kingdom to "reveal the architectural treasures we could lose forever". At the end of each programme, viewers can vote for the building they'd most like to see restored; each winning building will then go through to a shortlist of ten (sounding familiar?), followed swiftly by what is being billed as a "magnificent live event" where a UK-wide interactive poll will decide which building is most worthy of restoration.

Jane Root, Controller of BBC TWO, said: "I've been interested for a long time in commissioning a major series for BBC Two which not only puts the spotlight on our national heritage but also has the potential to do something very positive.

"I'm very excited about Restoration and really believe that television can play an important role in focussing public attention on the whole issue of buildings at risk in an engaging and intelligent way."

The series is currently in production and is slated to be transmitted on BBC Two next summer.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Sheila » Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:06 pm

Source?
Sheila

Postby Rory W » Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:08 pm

I saw it mentioned on MediaGuardian.co.uk - interesting idea, couldn't see it being as popular as pop idol, but at least the buildings will be around longer than pop stars careers.

But what happens to the losers?
Rory W
Old Master

Postby JackHack » Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:46 pm

In the Case of Dublin,

while there are many that would benefit mildly from a scrub, that building on the corner of Trinity St. And Dame St. would have the biggest bang for the buck if there was a few euro to be spent on clearning in Dublin city Centre Today.
JackHack

Postby Rory W » Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:52 pm

I always thought that a fund could be set up (along the lines of the Millenium Commission funds in the UK) that could give grants towards cleaning up facades or replacing the facade at least on "mistakes" such as Hawkins House
Rory W
Old Master

Postby RSJ » Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:26 pm

Desperate attempt by English Heritage to make restoration sexy. Doomed to failure. Because if the viewers choose one building, then that's all the others consigned to oblivion.
I'm not sure this is quite the right attitude for the guardian of our heritage to be taking. Not so much a lottery as Russian Roulette.
RSJ

Return to World Architecture