London Tallest Building gets planning approval

World architecture... what's happening generally....

London Tallest Building gets planning approval

Postby MG » Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:44 pm

London Bridge Tower, London’s proposed new skyscraper designed by Renzo Piano with Arup has been granted planning approval by Southwark Councils Development Control Committee. The tower will be the tallest in Europe, standing 1,016ft (350m) over the redeveloped London Bridge Station. John Thornton, Arup project director for London Bridge Tower, says 'We welcome this decision and look forward to seeing this beautiful and efficient tower being built in London'.
MG

Postby John Callery » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:52 pm

A landmark building this ("shard of glass") of the "highest" order and of architectural excellence, a landmark building in the truest sense of the word with its 66 floors offering two hotels, restaurants, viewing galleries and a public plaza of one acre at its base as well as office accomodation.

It should make a real contribution to the culture and economy within the existing built environment and London as a whole. Well done Renzo Piano for your vision, developer Irvine Sellar for your confidence and Lord Mayor Livingstone for your leadership of London.
John Callery

Postby MG » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:25 pm

And if it were to be built in Kilmainham?
MG

Postby RSJ » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:37 pm

It should be taller. Piano's original design was about 300 feet taller, and it looked much better proportioned.
RSJ

Postby GregF » Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:11 pm

That sounds exciting, another great landmark for the city of London and Europe.....but it would never have got approved here ......too many objectors.....we are light years behind in our thinking....and it's gas the way we pick and choose our standards and principles!

[This message has been edited by GregF (edited 27 March 2002).]
GregF
Old Master

Postby John Callery » Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:22 pm

“And if it were to be built in Kilmainham”

If only, if only.....just what the doctor ordered....this landmark state of the art contemporary building with its associated shops, viewing galleries, apartments, and above all restaurants and hotel + 1 acre public plaza and not just 98% rent a space (flat pidgeon loft roofed) offices would be welcomed with open arms by residents and tourists alike.

And for the work of Renzo Piano’s (Building Workshop) to stand adjacent to the works of Sir Edwin Lutyens, Sir William Robinson, John Mc Curdy, Francis Johnston and Andrew Devane would be a dream come true - public viewing galleries towards the Pheonix Park and what’s more Kilmainham would still have objectors........ but looking for the extra 300 ft wrongly trimmed off its Titanic scale by Southwark Council and referred to by RSJ. If only ..... if only......
John Callery

The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat

Postby trace » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:46 am

The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, an international (US-based) non-profit organization sponsored by architectural, engineering, planning, and construction professionals, was established to facilitate professional exchanges among those involved in all aspects of the planning, design, construction and operation of tall buildings and the urban habitat.

The Council's primary goal is to promote better urban environments by maximizing the international interaction of professionals, and by making the lastest knowledge available to its members and to the public at large in useful form.

The Council has a major concern with the role of tall buildings in the urban environment and their impact thereon. Providing adequate space for life and work involves not only technological factors, but social and cultural aspects as well.

While not an advocate for tall buildings per se, in those situations in which they are appropriate, the Council seeks to encourage the use of the latest knowledge in their implementation.

http://www.ctbuh.org/
trace

Postby alan d » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:09 pm

What's your favourite tall building then Trace?

Mine is the Hancock Tower in Chicago by Skidmore's, don't think it's ever been bettered anywhere.
alan d

Postby alan d » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:15 pm

alan d

Postby what? » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:35 pm

i will have to agree with you alan, those pictures dont do it justice though. very enigmatic in the flesh, almost evil, love it. although i was once told it cant be considered a skyscraper i will have to add in loyds of london, just beautiful in concept and excecution.
what?

Postby trace » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:38 pm

Big John's certainly handsome, in a just-in-off-the-plains kinda way, but the belle of the ball's gotta be delerious Miss Chrysler. Rem thought so too.
trace

Postby alan d » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:41 pm

almost evil, eh? never thought of it like that What? but I understand what you mean.

The interior spaces, particularly the apartments are stunning. Though they can't sell them at the moment.
alan d

Postby alan d » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:44 pm

I've never been able to get into the Chrysler but it is a beautiful object no doubt about it, Trace.
alan d

Postby alan d » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:15 pm

http://www.aviewoncities.com/building/lakepointtower.htm

I also very much like the Lake Point Tower in Chicago by two students on Mies from M.I.T. who's names I can never remember. From a sketch by Mies for a tower in Berlin 1922.
alan d

Postby what? » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:26 pm

what do people think of the piano tower? i think its harking pack to po-mo myself, not my favorite of his designs. he has a decent tower in sydney, but his one in rotterdam is ugly aswell.
what?

Postby alan d » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:12 pm

What? you rascal....... you've now depressed the fuck out of me. Clicked onto Piano's website to try and answer your question and got distracted by the array and quality of projects, wordwide.

Have a great Christmas, though it's no consolation that towers seem to be the least interesting of his projects.

I'll be in bed now with the covers over my head and the lights out til January.

http://www.rpwf.org/
alan d

Postby Andrew Duffy » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:42 am

Edit: wrt favourite tallies

There's something stunningly brutal about this:

http://www.emporis.info/en/il/im/?id=220416
Andrew Duffy

Postby what? » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:54 am

that building always reminds me of a bottle opener, which reminds me of christmas....
what?

Return to World Architecture