Year Abroad for Part 1 RIBA

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Year Abroad for Part 1 RIBA

Postby Sarah » Wed Jun 20, 2001 6:20 pm

I am interested in doing my year 4 of my BA in architecture in a practise abroad.
I was wondering if anyone has done this and has any useful info;
eg how to get started, what to do, what countries- I am interested in Hong Kong/ Australia but Europe would be good too! Anywhere with better weather than here.
any useful contacts?
is it worth doing- as opposed to working in the UK?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Sarah
Sarah

Postby iuxta » Tue Jun 26, 2001 6:56 pm

Sarah,
I have a friend who did a year out in Amsterdam. The exposure to a different country is great but the yearout students tend not to get paid too well. However the other europaen students were grant aided for their year abroad so maybe your college can guide you towards something like the leonardo program. other friends who went to paris had an excellent year also and one has gone back now that we are finished our theses.
iuxta

Postby zisa » Mon Aug 06, 2001 4:35 am

Hi Sarah,
try to get the contacts of IAESTE (international assoication helping the students of engineering, architecture etc finding trainee places or det. time works in other countreis)- they should know about it in your university.
i have worked 'abroad', maybe in 6 or 7 countries by now, and i assicure that britain has the best wages! but if you want to SEE what is like to live elsewhere, GO!
FIRST decide WHERE YOU WANT TO GO and then comes the rest!
i could have some tips or some contacts for architects and studios if you happen to want to go to brasil, milan, naples, ...
if you'll plan to live a year away, you can always start a part-time work (e.g. in a pub; fast to get in many cities, supposing you speak the language) (or if not you could sure teach english!!!!) while you are looking for a full day job in the studios!
good luck
if you think i could help lemme know

anna
zisa

Return to World Architecture