Stirling Prize

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Stirling Prize

Postby MG » Sun Nov 05, 2000 9:12 pm

I really like the Canary Wharf Station by Norman Foster - even it Tracey Emin found it fascist and male Image
MG

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sun Nov 05, 2000 9:40 pm

88 Wood Street is a lovely tranquil office block, why cannot we built similar here in Dublin?

Is the London Eye architecture or product design writ large? Personally I think it is product or industrial design.

Peckham Library by Will Alsop - surely if Alsop had designed the library correctly, he would have allowed for the detritus of library running - nice building though, I enjoyed the colour
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sun Nov 05, 2000 9:50 pm

Not sure about the Walsall Gallery -- particularly monolithic which I wouldnt think would encourage people in the community to get involved.

Sainsbury's in Greenwich would be a good model for supermarkets outside Irish rural towns if they could figure out how to avoid acres of tarmacaded carparks...
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sun Nov 05, 2000 9:56 pm

So what do you think of the winner - Peckham Library and Media Centre?

[This message has been edited by Paul Clerkin (edited 05 November 2000).]
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Jas » Fri Nov 10, 2000 12:11 am

I'm really not sure about this at all - the coloured glass panels look very garish to me.
Jas

Postby JK » Fri Nov 10, 2000 11:19 am

Not so sure about Peckham, although it is an excellent piece of work - I don't like the gable ends and find the 'loggia' at ground level overscaled and vapid.

Personally I'd go for the Sainsburys - such a rotten brief (a big shed basically) of a typology which usually is very difficult to do anything decent with either architecturally or in terms of Urbanism deserves all the credit it can get.

JK
JK

Return to World Architecture