14 years ago

Anything you would like to see on the website?

14 years ago

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:41 pm

March 1, 1997 saw the launch of this site as Archeire.com - it had previously been supported by my then employer Nua.ie as Architectural Dublin on their domain nua.ie/archdub/ until Yahoo.com plugged it as a Site of the Day and it crashed the server at Best.com. Weirdly they weren't that happy about that.

There's been plenty of ups and downs - the Arts Council funded us for a few good years, won a couple of Golden Spiders .
We were archeire.com and then Irish-architecture.com and now archiseek.com.
Got asked to write a book by Gill & Macmillan on strength of a single page on the site.
Quoted favourably by the BBC, Guardian, New York Times, Architectural Review; been done-over in a hatchet job by The Cork Examiner.
Dug out the winner for the U2 competiton; and had the DDDA ringing me at home quite aggressively trying to kill the story.
We've crashed; been threatened by solicitors (several times); had people campaign against the site at AAI site visits; yes we've had a few oddballs.
Not all ideas have worked -started a jobs board weeks before the construction industry imploded; left it very long before started to database the site.
But generated more pages than ever in January 2011 despite the slow-down.

It has largely been funded by myself (directly through paying hosting) and indirectly (lots of hours), but after 14 years we're still standing when lots of heavily funded websites have come and gone. At times it's been very hard to continue, and while I would it to be my day job, it's still a sideline - evenings mostly.

People who deserve some thanks/slaps....
Gerry McGovern - he originally suggested, in May 1996, in the pub, that starting a website on architecture highlights of Dublin would be a welcome addition to the web; Antoin and Niall, who encouraged it.....
Former business partners and employers who may not have received my full attention - sorry Mick ;)
The McCarron brothers - Stephen and Aidan from Novara to Hosting365 and now Dediserve have been great hosts / supporters of the site
Shane O'Toole, and my wife for regular encouragement when I get a little tired.

And all regular contributors to the forums..... Twitter followers, newsletter subscribers and regular visitors to the site.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: 14 years ago

Postby missarchi » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:53 am

Is this a last horar? Is archiseek being rocked to it's foundations by so called "Irish architecture"
Solicitors are part n parcel of different opinions these days & journalism... which is sad.
Why you change providers? One day archiseek might be a teenager!

happy birthday!
missarchi
Old Master

Postby urbanisto » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:05 pm

There is a lot to be proud of. I am certainly thankful for the forum as a place to share my thoughts and ideas about the built environment. Thanks Paul.
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby onq » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:37 pm

I cannot begin to describe the usefulness of a forum that is not staffed by the members of the Competent Authority for Architecture in Ireland.

I've said it before and will say it again - thanks Paul.

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby onq » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:11 pm

I've just gone to the user control panel Paul.

Who ate my avatar?

Its gorn!

LOL!

M.
onq
Old Master

Return to Suggestions & Announcements