revised site architecture

Anything you would like to see on the website?

revised site architecture

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:27 pm

I have started moving the content of Archiseek into a new db-driven site. Previously the site has been cobbled together from smaller dbs and flat html/css

The new system will probably not be available site-wide this year, as by my reckoning, it will take approximitley 80 weeks to cut and paste all content into it.

However I shall be rolling out the site country by country - currently working on the UK first

The new system will feature tags so you can view all buildings in the system by type, architect, locale, year

ie you can view all market houses
or all work by Scott Tallon Walker

As well as slicker galleries and a much better integrated search (the current search has to be told to reindex the site)

It will also allow comments on news as well as all the various web 2.0 bells and whistles - the forums will be more closely integrated too - archiseek will become more of a magazine in feel

As this is a huge amount of work, there will be less new content added to the current site, with new additions going straight to the new system

Personally I'm both daunted and very excited by this - it's an absolutely enormous mount of work but the new site will be such a massive improvement in finding buildings of interest, news that it will be completely worth it.

watch this space.....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: revised site architecture

Postby apelles » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:20 pm

The new system will probably not be available site-wide this year, as by my reckoning, it will take approximitley 80 weeks to cut and paste all content into it.

Thanks Paul for all your hard work in keeping the site up to date..I enjoy it immensely..I personally would'nt fancy 80 weeks of cutting & pasteing..hope for your sake it's an overestimation!
apelles

Postby CologneMike » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi Paul,

I don’t know if your message box is full or not as I sent you a message at the weekend regarding a problem with uploading of images. The Max Height parameter value for .jpg files is empty?

(My image size was smaller than 294 kb and less than 700 Max Width)

Secondly, I also sent you message in January as there seems to be a max.limitation of a 100 pictures that can be uploaded to the Albums. Could you extend this limit for me?

Paul, why not do a data migration per program from one data base to another data base (text / blobs)?

Cut and paste 90.000 posts from the forums alone is indeed a daunting task. :eek:

If you need assistance let us know.

The forums will be more closely integrated too - archiseek will become more of a magazine in feel

Any chance of a sneak preview or a screenshot of the new design?
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:42 pm

The forums shall be staying in the same system - the remainder of the site wasn't db-ed hence the ctrl-c ctrl v routine
will look at settings later tonight
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Return to Suggestions & Announcements