If archiseek had awards 2005

Anything you would like to see on the website?

If archiseek had awards 2005

Postby ewankennedy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:28 pm

I remember a thread something like this being posted at the start of last year and it was very enjoyable. Just as a bit of fun and as a break from the usual natter i thought we could do something similar again the same.
If I may forward some nomination categories.

Best new Irish building of 2005?

Most memorable event of 2005 on archiseek?

Most entertaining/humourous poster.

Oldest revived thread (think that may have been done before)

any other suggestions? And some nominees. :)
ewankennedy

Re: If archiseek had awards 2005

Postby sw101 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:01 pm

glucksman.

my drunken posting that i hope nobody else noticed

me
sw101

Postby PVC King » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:15 pm

1 Agreed on the Glucksman

2 Mansfields Giant heap of crap coming to life ala legoland

3 To many to single out

4 Stephen C nominated for something
PVC King

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:37 pm

I got to say that the increasingly dedicated threads to O'Connell Street or street lighting are a fabulous development and have turned the forums into a real resource. My award for 2005 would got to any contributors to these type of indepth threads.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Saucy Jack » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:02 pm

The Glucksman Gallery U.C.C. Cork.

Mansfields giant heap of crap at Citiwest - hilarious.

Whatever happened to Lexington - must have been busted !!! ???
Saucy Jack

Postby POM » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:51 pm

Saucy Jack wrote:
Whatever happened to Lexington - must have been busted !!! ???

Busted?

I think I'd have to give the Glucksman some dues here as best new Irish building. I think its a fine fine building, but perhaps a little over rated in the context of modern Irish building stock. That is, I think it is celebrated so much given that there is little else to boast about. I think that will change however and is beginning to change. Hopefully we will have more nominations to argue this time next year.
POM

Postby sw101 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:23 pm

actually, that OAP scandal with the irish examiner was pretty memorable.
sw101

Postby GrahamH » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:30 am

POM wrote: I think it is celebrated so much given that there is little else to boast about.

Yes there seems to have been relatively few completions of note last year. Can anyone name any buildings of reasonable to high quality that were completed or substantial progress made on in 2005? Better still if we could get some pictures.
And to jump on garthace's hobbyhorse, it's not all about 'jewel' buildings either :) - anything of a decent quality that makes a good contribution to its environment and/or the broader Irish architectural scene in people's home areas is deserving of a mention.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Frank Taylor » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:57 pm

I propose a Garethace special award for the longest thread in which only one person posts.

Devin and Graham Hickey posted a lot of very high quality material in the past year. The Dublin lighting thread was something I'd be delighted to find in a book. The photos are really improving the forum.

The forum would be very tedious if everyone held the same views so I'm glad there is a diversity of opinion on issues like rural development, pastiche architecture, modernism, conservation, tall buildings and so on.Could there be an award for the person best able to defend the least popular view?

A hissy-fit award for the person who most lost the run of themselves over something trivial.

A glove puppetmaster in chief award for the person hiding behind the largest number of accounts.
Frank Taylor

Postby GrahamH » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:54 am

lol

orpostersthattproducethemostincomprehensibleposts, Or The Most Grammatically Irritating Posts That Make Your Read Simply As A Mental Challenge To Yourself Rather Than In Pursuit Of The Content Which You Gave Up On From The Very First Glance At The Post.

On a broader level though, and without being licky-arse about it (what an unfortunate term…), the real award ought to go to a certain Mr Clerkin. The opportunity rarely rears its head to say it, but I think most members and observers are highly grateful for his provision of the magnificent resource that is Archiseek – both as a comprehensive repository of information on a host of architectural matters, and as a highly credible platform for public expression on so many issues. Regardless of the fact that it’s your baby as you’ve said before Paul :), your commitment with time, energy and no doubt substantial finance to the project, and perhaps most importantly of all for users, to the upholding of high standards of credibility, reliability and site stability is to be warmly commended.

There is also a fine aspect to the Forums section that is maybe under-rated. Like Continental television where you don’t appreciate what you have at home till you see the muck abroad, Archiseek goes with the flow in a distinctively Irish manner that you rarely see elsewhere on the internet. The amount of British and US forums that are regulated to within an inch of their lives is simply mind-numbing – ironically often entire threads that go slightly off-topic get devoured in bickering over ‘sticking to the point’ and ‘keeping on focus’ when the debate could have otherwise been rambling along nicely, or getting back on track. The Americans in particular are nothing short of a joke in this regard, with some UK sites not far behind. The ability in Archiseek to be able to go off-topic, even if only slightly, within a post, within a thread or even within a forum itself I think is a very healthy thing. Similarly the intertwining of architecture with planning and development and often environmental issues is a unique and worthy part of Archiseek that is again highly commendable. It stimulates debate, allowing it room to breathe and develop, and for issues to be teased out. It also adds variety and a certain element of unpredictability to the boards. It seems to be a deliberate policy, and by and large it works exceedingly well.

What I must say to have found bizarre about the site ever since day one though is the near-exclusively male membership of the forums, genuinely leading me to wonder if there were in fact any women in architectural education in Ireland at all! Obviously many of the country’s most renowned practices have women very visibly working at the forefront of their operations, and internet-wise most ‘niche’ forums tend to be male-dominated, but really Archiseek just takes the biscuit! Are Irish women just not interested in design, planning or development?! Not even the majority female students in third level (all with internet access) as sw101 has highlighted see fit to contribute?! The only time women seem to come on board is when they want to enquire about alterations to the house because the lesser half is whinging ‘no you do it, you’re better at that sort of thing - I wouldn’t know what to say.’

Anyway…..as usual I’ve blathered on for three pages with what could have been said in three words.

Thank you Paul.
GrahamH
Old Master

Return to Suggestions & Announcements