Next year's work placement! HELP!!!

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Postby claire » Mon Apr 08, 2002 6:19 pm

At the moment I am finishing my diploma, and I suppose one of the reasons I posted this topic was to also find out other peoples views of what interior architecture is. In my opinion the definition of an interior architect is going to vary depending who you are working for. There are so many areas you can work in, the only way I can describe it is from the projects I've done in college. For example I've done a number of projects where we are given a building in existance in which it needs to be converted in to something else. This also will involve exterior work as well as services and all constuction design and reworking. However this is only one area, there is also retail, theatre, commercial, etc. Therefore the job of an interior architect is going to vary on wheather you work for a construction company, or a retail design company. I hope this better describes an interior architect but to be honest I'm still finding out myself thats why I was curious as to where I could get work experience for a year. The work experience is for the year Sept 2002 to May 2003.
claire

Postby darrancrawford » Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:48 pm

The term "Architect" is protected by law for a VERY good reason. This term is reserved for people who have proceeded through 7 years of qualification and experience and are skilled in areas from design, through to contractual law. it guarantees a certain level of competence and experience, after that it is left to the practitioners legacy of completed projects. If the term were not protected every Plan Drawer and surveyor would call themselves architects…and what would that do for the standard of the built environment? The ARB quite rightly takes a very dim view of anyone using this term without being a paid up member, even people who have done the 7 years and forgotten to pay their fees are fair game in court.

Complaining about snobbery and autocratic behaviour amongst architects is very commendable but do remember that the greatest architects are invariably the most self obsessed, possessed, autocratic, pretentious and contemptuous kind of people. They also happen to create the greatest interiors ever seen, such as

FLW, Johnston Wax, Corb, Ronchamps, Fosters Great Court

And before you’re a flurrying at your keyboard yes they didn’t all do a seven-year course and no they weren’t all ARB members. They satisfied all of the requirements of the day to have the title bestowed upon them and if the requirements included a 7-year course then you can assume they would have done that as well…. I feel somewhat predisposed to hostility when others bemoan the people who are prepared to do what’s required to be an architect. We have a right to be protective of all that we have worked hard for.

I do not therefore feel that “interior architects” should use the phrase architect in their job title, it is misleading in your case, even a discussion board full of architects don’t know what you do, what hope has the layperson? I know that IT Hardware professionals use the term “system architect” but no-one ever hires them to refurbish a building.
darrancrawford

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:53 pm

"The term "Architect" is protected by law for a VERY good reason "

Not in the republic
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby darrancrawford » Tue Apr 16, 2002 8:11 pm

well then disregard all I have said and everyone who feels like calling themselves an architect go right ahead...oh and by the way address me as Dr Crawford I feel like being a GP, nah even better Your Worship always fancied being a high court judge.

Do you not think that it should be protected as it is 100 miles up the road?
darrancrawford

Postby daz » Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:52 pm

could an interior architect explain to me what you do? not a loaded question, just interested to find out! is it about a humane interface with the environment, because thats what architects should be all about. making the environment tolerable. however, us architects have to slog out the 6 years just to get some personal indemnity insurance! maybe you guys have the sweet deal, and others resent you for the choices you've made? i dont know.......................................does it matter? probably not
daz

Postby daz » Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:55 pm

just realised that this discussion ended 2 months ago, ah well, that was silly!!!
daz

Postby Rita Ochoa » Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:38 pm

Daz, go to:

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?s=&threadid=995

For further information reply me. I'm an interior architect and an architect (yes, 2 degrees, lol)
Rita Ochoa

Previous

Return to World Architecture