CAO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!

World architecture... what's happening generally....

CAO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Eóin » Sun Jan 13, 2002 11:56 pm

I'm about to fill out my CAO form (College application form). The problem is that I'm desperate to study architecture but I'm worried that I won't get the points needed for it. I was just wondering if anybody had any advice they could give me, like alternative courses that would be a, sort of, back door into architecture? I'm considering civil or structural engineering.

Thanks!!
Eóin

Postby nono » Mon Jan 14, 2002 4:28 pm

in lovely bolton st. 200 extra points are awarded for the interview and aptitude test. this i sin addition to your leaving cert, so you do not need to be a genius to get in.

lots of people are at loggerheads about the standards of education there at the mo. but if you ask me, your own positive mental attitude will get you through. it seems to work for alot of the less vocal people who do not frequent this website too often. re. check out some of the other forums

i am just a year out student from the aforementioned college, and am probably not the best one by a long shot, so i hope you get some more feedback. as for a back door into architecture i could only really speculate, or guess so i will leave that up to some body else with more authority.

best of luck.
nono

Postby Eóin » Mon Jan 14, 2002 11:50 pm

Thanks for that! Bolton street have an open day next saturday so hopefully I'll get a few answers to my many questions then!!!! That 200 extra points is baced on an interview and portfolio, you don't know anything about that do you?? Like the sorta things they're looking for in it?
Eóin

Postby mite » Tue Jan 15, 2002 1:24 am

if you really want to do architecture (and certainly, you sound very enthusiastic about it: the first step!)... your choices are not as limited as they appear - have you considered or applied to the colleges in england, scotland... or 'queens' in the north?
i was in exactly the same situation as you 6 years ago: ie. i was not the typê to score 6 million points in the leaving cert. however, i did succeed in scraping into DIT, thanks to the aptitude test and interview.
the aptitiude test: hard to know what exactly they are looking for, and impossible to prepare for it.
if you get an interview: be enthusiastic, natural and (whether you have a portfolio or not)bring anything reflecting your creative side - drawings, photos, paintings... i even know some people who brought essays and poems they wrote!
you are not expected to have an incredible knowledge about architecture, but just be prepared to talk about any buildings, or cities that interest you - they want to see that you are spatially aware.
regarding entering other fields on the CAO(you mentioned civil engineering and the like?)... you must remember that you would have to complete the other course before (DIT) would consider taking you on(into 2nd year)ie. it's a very long process: but certainly not uncommon.
i'm not sure if any of this is of any use, i can only wish you the best of luck and to remain focused and positive on what you really want to do.
mite

Postby poc75 » Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:21 pm

Hi,
I would not limit myself to Ireland. I am now in my fourth year in Brighton, having done my first three in the mac in G;lasgow. There are about 33 architectural schools in the UK compared with 2 in Ireland. In the UK you can you also have a choice of the type of school you would like to attend. E.g. if you are good at art you might like to go to a conceptual type school e.g. mackintosh in Glasgow. or if good at maths etc, an technically based school e.g. Leeds.
With regards to going abroad to study. Initially it is hard, but in the UK most people in your year will all be new to the area and all far away from home. You will make great friends, and quickly.
Best of luck,
POC
poc75

Postby Eóin » Tue Jan 15, 2002 11:44 pm

Thanks soo much mite thats a huge help!!! I've never met someone who was able to tell me about the interview and aptitude test before. I was begining to worry about it!! Hopefully, with the extra points, I'll be able to get in.

Thank too poc. I did look into going to England but it was just too expensive!!
Eóin

Postby Jack » Wed Jan 16, 2002 1:25 pm

Watch out for the aptitude test in Bolton St..... it's a sort of arrange the dots thing and it can mess with your head big time.......why not do a technician course first and then move on...........what's the rush?
Jack

Postby nada » Thu Jan 17, 2002 5:47 pm

don't rely too much on getting the 200 points - they are a help, but very few people would actually get very high up. The year that I got in, the points were 551 including the aptitude test etc. and as far as I remember the lowest leaving certificate results were 425, and that was a few years ago so I presume everythings gone up since then.
the aptitude test - though people say you can't study for it. It may be helpful t look at those books "test you own iq" etc. the spatial tests in those are a very good example of what to expect. generally 1500 to 2000 people sit the test and out of those I think 300 are called for interviews.
best of luck
nada

Postby claire » Tue Jan 29, 2002 1:24 pm

im in interior architecture in sligo. More architecture based than some may think!
claire

Postby arch_survey » Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:07 pm

Sligo - Architecture in the one sentence I DONT THINK SO. . . .
arch_survey

Postby interior designers suck » Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:07 pm

Believe me claire - architecture and interior design are NOTHING alike.
interior designers suck

Postby Starch » Wed Jan 30, 2002 4:32 pm

Give the girl a break.........
Starch

Postby roskav » Fri Feb 01, 2002 11:59 am

architecture and interior design both describe facets of a common product. They are mutually dependant.
By viewing them as seperate practices you limit the possibilities of what you could produce if you work together.
roskav

Postby Juan » Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:52 pm

You don't need this in England if I remember well....
Originally posted by Eóin:
I'm about to fill out my CAO form (College application form). The problem is that I'm desperate to study architecture but I'm worried that I won't get the points needed for it. I was just wondering if anybody had any advice they could give me, like alternative courses that would be a, sort of, back door into architecture? I'm considering civil or structural engineering.

Thanks!!
Juan

Postby Rita Ochoa » Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:42 pm

Claire, I´m also an interior architect and i´ve been coordenating a football stadium project for the last 2 years. This means that Interior architecture is not Interior design as some think and it´s just another field of architecture in general. Getting a job for an interior architect is not a problem but unfortunaly getting in to competitions or being responsable for your own projects (even little "rehabilitations") it´s impossable in some countries (like mine). For all that I had to study 7 years and end up with 2 degrees ( Interior Architecture + Architecture )!!!!!... something is wrong in the EU directives for this courses, don´t you think so ?
Team work and specialized jobs are being more essencial everyday but that schould also mean comum general formation and equal oportunities in "real" live.
Sorry Eóin, for not answering you......

[This message has been edited by Rita Ochoa (edited 14 March 2002).]
Rita Ochoa

Return to World Architecture