Problems with maths!

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Problems with maths!

Postby Aoife » Sun Nov 19, 2000 1:54 am

Unlike Matt i am not worried about the artistic side of architecture, i was wondering, as a leaving cert student hoping to study architecture next year, do you have to be very good at maths and science?1
Aoife

Postby JK » Sun Nov 19, 2000 6:43 pm

Only if the issue is one of points - although both UCD and Bolton St do have maths physics and chemistry on hte curriculum for the first couple of years, not exactly a demanding standard though.

JK
JK

Postby Scott » Tue Jan 23, 2001 6:50 pm

I know where you're coming from Aoife,
I did the same as yourself last year, I did too much art and not enough technical stuff and it brought me down in the end.
The level of maths and science in the course may be low but its getting in there that's hard as you probably know.I went to the interviews and exams in Dublin last year and thinking back now I was quite naive about the whole thing.
But don't worry there's lots of ways that you can get in to the Arch. degree.
I'm doing a course at the moment and it's great for getting a good background knowledge of all things technical, I even enjoy it which came as a surprise and sure you can always do a bit of art in your spare time, and with good grades your guaranteed a place at uni.the main thing is not too rush things there's plenty of time to get yourself sorted.
Good luck with the Leaving Cert. if it goes ahead and don't let those eejits at Bolton St. mess you around.
Scott

Postby MK » Fri Jan 26, 2001 1:48 pm

People speak freqently & at length about the relative merits of physics/maths versus art for future architecture students. All of these disciplines have a certain validity, but art would be the most essential (I know this because I chose the points subjects over art, but those at Bolton St. a quite familiar with this scenario).
What people rarely speak of is the validity of Geography for the future architecture student. why this is I will never know, Geography deals with the enviornment at large, how our natural landscape was built, its geology, its meteorology and the sociology of our world. Population trends, urbanity, rural communities, climate extremes, I could go on & on. We build in the landscape, whether urban or rural, windswept or sheltered, hot or cold, etc. Does this not seem like a perfect introduction to students to see how, why & where we build, what obstacles we may encounter and the strengths and weaknesses of various economic and social policies around the world, & on the basis of this create a more precise & coherent architecture in the landscape they build.
MK

Postby bunch » Mon Jan 29, 2001 5:57 pm

Excellent point M.K. The absence of a strong link between architecture and geography may also be explained by a neglect on behalf of the latter discipline. It appears that geography, with its principal concerns in space and place, would be concerned with architecture. This however, is not the case.Many geography students progress to the planning profession, without engaging in any architectural study whatsoever. i think that the point you make is very valid, that Geography, and its focus on urban planning/design, rural development, transport, national/regional planning, environment, sustainability, climate, geology,etc. etc. should have a lot to offer to students of architecture.(and vice-versa). I myself study geography at post- graduate level, and hope to become a planner, and am very aware of the academic 'gap', which is a neglect of architectural concerns. I am attepting to overcome this, by using this website, for example, and books/journals, newspapers....but this is not enough obviously. The two disciplines have so much to offer each other, its just a pity.
bunch

Postby Jeremy » Tue Jan 30, 2001 6:34 pm

Art is a "points subject" too.
I got way more points from art than I did from maths.

Not that it really matters where your points come from.

Being able to draw is possibly the most important thing to take from Leaving Cert. art - observation and hand-eye co-ordination.

And although the standard of maths & physics isn't taught to an extremely difficult level, you'd want to be fairly numerate - and remeber to stay awake in lectures!

I would definitely support geography for potential architects - it would make a lot of sense, despite not being a course requirement.
Jeremy

Return to World Architecture