Is DIT for me?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Is DIT for me?

Postby jrk92 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:00 am

hello, my name is Jarek and I come from Poland. it is my first thread so be indugent please:) I live in Ireland about 2 years and I always dreamed about studying Architecture:) i am really good in drawings, sketchings three-dimensional drawings etc. but i have one problem my english... actually i study so hard but now I am in 6th year and I have to make a decision: where to go to college? I would like to apply to DIT because I live in Dublin... but they require a lot of points... I think I will get about 350-400, I do 3 Honours, is it enough? what you think about it? Probably they will reject me because of my english.. actually I understand everything but you know...it is not perfect.of course every day is better and i do my best but i am afraid of interview in DIT? do you know other colleges with architecture course?in UL is about 460 point if i am not wrong..ehhh Please help me because I dont really know what to do:( regards
jrk92

Re: Is DIT for me?

Postby spoil_sport » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:43 am

I wouldn't worry too much about your level of English, your post above seems passable. Architects communicate mostly by visual means, drawings and models, if you can use those effectively then that is more than half the battle.
In terms of architecture schools, Without wanting to start another row, I will say that, at the moment, UCD is probably the best; UL is rated very highly; there is also WIT and UCC, and North of the border, Queens and University of Ulster -but I don't know much about those. But if it is points you are worried about then perhaps you could look at other options like Architectural Technology. Also DIT's points are made up of a combination of LC points and DIT's own entrance exam, though I'm not sure what the breakdown is. If you are considering it you should apply anyway and do the entrance exam at least (But don't be put off if you fail the entrance exam, it's not very reliable, I know plenty of very good architects who failed it)
Its a while since I did it, but realistically you probably should be aiming a bit higher than 350-400 points. Requirements have come down across the board for architecture courses for obvious reasons but I doubt they will come down that much.
spoil_sport

Postby jrk92 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:52 pm

ok thank you for your posting;) so tell me main differences between architecture course and Architectural Technology? last year 380 points were required in DIT for Architectural Technology :) if I want to apply to UL i have to give them my portfolio and here is next problem... can I take it back because DIT interview and time when i have to go to UL with my portfolio is nearly the same:( and I dont wanna do second portfolio for them...
jrk92

Postby spoil_sport » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:05 pm

The line between the architect and the technologist can be a touchy subject, so I'll broach it with the most dumbed down version I can muster: An architect is concerned primarily with the manipulation of space, the organisation of a brief in a way that not only fulfills its function properly, but also, in some way, gives consideration to what and how people will feel when using it. As such, there is a heavy emphasis on theory and design, and a very broad knowledge of the components and skills that will go towards making the end product.
A technologist will be more concerned with making things work on a very practical level, they will have a more specific knowledge of the building methods and construction systems, with an eye on how the details will enhance the whole. I am not a technlogist and I apologise if I have over simplified it.
As for your portfolio issue, your best bet is to contact the colleges and ask them. It might not cost too much to get it copied either.
Also, probably the best thing to do is to go into UCD or DIT and try and talk to a tutor for a better understanding and they can probably show you some of the work that the students are doing. DIT is probably better in this regard because you can see both the architecture and the technology courses and compare, UCD dosen't do a technology course.
spoil_sport

Postby jrk92 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:25 pm

ok;) The open day in DIT is 5th December 2009 so I will try to get any informations about it;) Please let me know , because I am confused... if I will complete all 4 years Architectural Technology for example in DIT .. then can I continue my education and be an architect? Do I have any chances for this? because at this moment I can study Architectural Technology , but after 4 years , whenn my english will nearly perfect or perfect (I hope that, because two years ago I didnt know how to say: how are you?) I would like to consider it option:)Many thanks for any help you offered me
jrk92

Postby spoil_sport » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:54 pm

Yes, of course, but it is a very long route. Under normal circumstances you are looking at 5 years on top of the 4, probably with some work experience in between. If your very good, and at the discression of the college, it may be possible to skip the first year or two of the architecture degree, it's not a route I'd personally take, but it is an option.
spoil_sport

Postby missarchi » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:02 pm

eireland...

I skipped 2 years from a 5 year course from studying a two year course but unless there are clear rules everything will be on a case by case basis. You have to speak with the institutions.
missarchi
Old Master

Postby foremanjoe » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:37 pm

missarchi wrote:I skipped 2 years from a 5 year course from studying a two year course

It's all beginning to make sense now...
foremanjoe

Postby jrk92 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:04 pm

hmmm I love three-dimensional shetches and stuffs like that, my portfolio will be great.. and what do you think,if I have any chance?Although I will get less points from my LC than they reqire? I think I would get about 500 points only if I would be in Ireland 4-5 years...unfortunatelly I am not.Maybe I should talk with them that I need time, that I am really good, (I have always dreamed about this course) What do you think, would they consider me then? ehh I really dont know what to do...
jrk92

Postby spoil_sport » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:23 pm

I think you just answered your own question there, you need to discuss it with the college. There is not much more you can get from a forum like this. Given that English is not your first language I'm sure there are concessions that can be made. Maybe a career guidance councillor in your school can help you here as well.
spoil_sport

Postby jrk92 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:44 pm

I spoke with him and he said me, I should go to Architectural technology course;)but they dont require portfolio , which I have started. Maybe I should stay in 6th year again? anyway thank you ,,, regards;)
jrk92

Return to World Architecture