DIT Architecture course

World architecture... what's happening generally....

DIT Architecture course

Postby Archie09 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:11 am

Does anyone know what qualification a person might get after studying 3 years architecture in DIT?

I know that in UCD you get a bachelor in Architectural science.

Cheers
Archie09

Re: DIT Architecture course

Postby strandstudio » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:50 am

Although the course prepares the student to the same level as 3rd year UCD (equivalent to RIAI part 1 of professional qualifications) no formal award is granted after 3 years in DIT.

This can cause problem for students looking to transfer out of DIT after 3rd year, particularly if they want to study in the UK or Europe. For those looking to see their studies through to the 5th year degree in DIT (equivalent to part 2 of RIAI prof qualifications) there is no real difference - the lack of this 3rd year degree does not hinder employment or post-graduate prospects.

That said it is a bit unfair of DIT in my opinion not to grant this, as 5 years is a long time with no reward, and there are many who only find out that architecture may not be for them once they are in the thick of things after a few years study. The lack of any recognition by the school of work done in reaching and passing 3rd year does harm those who want to get out of the course and study something else altogether...
strandstudio

Postby Archie09 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks strand studio.

I agree -if you decide to go in a different direction it would be much more benificial to have a degree or equivalent after 3 years. If you so then choose you could move to a different design area.

I spoke with one of the lecturers yesterday from DIT Architecture and he informed me that they were looking at this issue and it will probably be changing within the next year or so.
Archie09

Postby foremanjoe » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:43 pm

Archie09 wrote:I spoke with one of the lecturers yesterday from DIT Architecture and he informed me that they were looking at this issue and it will probably be changing within the next year or so.

Don't believe everything you hear, or hold your breath!
DIT have been 'about to change' aspects of the course for years but old habits die hard it seems.

Fingers crossed that some forward planning will be put into action soon though.
foremanjoe

Return to World Architecture