DIT 1st year Architecture - deferring?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

DIT 1st year Architecture - deferring?

Postby massamann » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Folks,

Having applied for the DIT Architecture course (via old school, CAO stylie), just wondering if anybody knows the in's and out's of deferring entry. I know, I know, this is a bit presumtuous, and that it's only March. It's just that my best laid plans of going back to college in September have been torn to shreds by my uncaring managers possibly extending my contract until Christmas.

In these recessionary times, I can't afford to pass that up. Especially if I COULD defer, which would allow me to get everything organised for Sept 2010, rather than having to take my chances again next Spring.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
massamann

Re: DIT 1st year Architecture - deferring?

Postby rira » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:00 pm

Basically it's completely discretionary and up to DIT based on your circumstances to grant a deferral, I don't see why they wouldn't but you never know.

From the CAO:

Deferred Entry:

If you receive an offer of a place and you wish to defer taking up the place for one year, you must seek the agreement of the appropriate HEI. Such agreement is notguaranteed and is totally at the discretion of the appropriate HEI.

In general, the position of the various HEIs is as set out below. However, if you wish to defer an offer of a place, you are strongly urged to check direct, and well in advance, with the Admissions Offices of the appropriate HEIs about the conditions under which
deferred entry might be granted.

All HEIs will consider applications for deferred entry.

In the case of the following courses, application for deferred entry will be considered only in exceptional circumstances :

Dun Laoghaire I.A.D.T. : All Courses.

University College Cork:
CK701, CK702, CK703, CK704, CK705 and CK791.

Deferral Procedure:

A) Seeking a deferral:
If the HEI has confirmed that it operates deferred entry to
the course in question, on receipt of an Offer Notice:

Do NOT accept the offer in the manner shown on the
Offer Notice.

Write IMMEDIATELY to the Admissions Office of
the appropriate HEI, setting out the reason(s) for the
request. Mark "DEFERRED ENTRY" clearly on the
envelope.

You must attach to the letter the appropriate part of
the Offer Notice, i.e. that which shows the offer you
wish to be deferred.

The letter must arrive in the Admissions Office at
least two days before the "Reply Date" shown on the
Offer Notice.

The HEI will communicate the decision to you.
If the deferral is not granted, you may then accept the
offer for the current year.

You must send all communications about deferral to
the appropriate Admissions Offices and NOT to
CAO.

B)
Taking up a deferral:

In order to take up a deferred place, you must re-apply through CAO in the succeeding year, pay the appropriate application fee and place the deferred course as your
only preference on the application form.
You will breach the conditions of your deferred place if you enter more than the single deferred course code on your application. In that event, you will forfeit the guaranteed place and enter the competition for places in the normal way. When reapplying in the succeeding year, you must complete an application FULLY. In other words, you must include again any documentation, etc., which you provided with the original application.
rira

Return to World Architecture