is architecture all work and no play?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

is architecture all work and no play?

Postby acousticer » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:39 pm

hi!so I know doing an architecture requires a lot of work in college.....but how much exactly?

just wondering,what is the hours actually like for an architecture course?I've heard that it mostly depends on yourself and that you will spend most of the time in the design studio.......but is there much time off for actually having fun in college, and still being able to manage to keep up with projects etc?:p
or are you loaded with work from day 1?

plz reply.:D
acousticer

Re: is architecture all work and no play?

Postby green_jesus » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:52 pm

Answer: Yes it sucks & if u get a part time job...well lets just say i was very very lucky to pass. You'll be doing a lot of all-nighters.
green_jesus

Postby acousticer » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:05 pm

ah man that sucks!what do you mean by pass though?

where'd you study?
acousticer

Postby spoil_sport » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:40 pm

I think s/he meant lucky to achieve a pass grade,ie not to fail.
I don't completely agree with that. It depends on the year, my class had a very competitive streak and it pushed everyone to work harder, so in some ways it is self inflicted, some years can be more relaxed.
Yes it is a lot of work, and certinally you will find yourself a lot busier than your friends in arts, or commerce, and you will probably loose contact with them anyway and yes there are certinally some all nighters before interim or final reviews, you will be hard pressed to maintain any hobbies or interests and a part-time job is out of the question, and in UCD at least is just plain stupid. But to be honest, and what most people forget in hindsight, is how inefficiently we work; the studio tends to be a very sociable place, and at the best times I would even describe it as fun; at its worst it is pure unsufferable misery (and yes there will be tears at some stage) It all depends on how well you handle stress, and how much you enjoy architecture. Architecture, for those who want to excell, is a lifestyle choice, and not just a profession, if you are not prepared for that, then you should reconsider. But form experience it grows on people, the 1st year is not too bad, 2nd as far as I can remember was actually fun, after that it gets a lot hareder but you should be getting older and more sensible anyway.
spoil_sport

Postby experiMental » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:34 pm

If you're interested in creating really good work, and you enjoy the whole process of doing it, then workload should not put you off.
experiMental

Postby acousticer » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:50 pm

oh I'm not put off by workload,I know that it will be a tough course and I am prepared to work.........as ye say though,if you are interested in the course then you'll barely see it as work!

but just as a matter of interest,what is a typical day like........what time would you start at and finish at for instance?
acousticer

Postby spoil_sport » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:09 pm

[Typical of week before final crit week - busy but not "up the walls"]

7.00 hit snooze on the alarm for the first time, intending to be in studio for 8.00, eventually struggle in about 8.30/8.45, coffee in O'Briens to get you started, sit down to some work about 9.15 or so, draw section/ refine plan, head for lunch about 12.30 to avoid queues, eat at desk, begin model; tea break about 18.00-ish, surf youtube and waste an hour, then realising you are only half way through a model you intended to have done yesterday, you put the head down untill 22.00 /22.15 ish when security kick you out, huridly jam model and some card and glue into bag and head home, rustle up some grub, get 1/2hr tv/digestion time, commence model again about 23.30 work till about 2.00/3.00 in morning. Go to bed, once again try to get up at 7.00.....
[Week of final crit, forget about sleep, maybe 2/3 hrs a night if lucky]
Of course it is all self-inflicted, there is an awful lot of "thinking time" and chatting to others in studio in there as well, there are those kind of ruthlessly efficient people who never seem to work too late and yet still have the work done, but they are a rare bunch.
spoil_sport

Postby acousticer » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:27 pm

is that actually a typical day(as in a month or 2 in from when you started the year), or is it a week before your projects are examined or whatever?

then are the weekends busy too?
acousticer

Postby spoil_sport » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:55 pm

Probably not in 1st year to be fair, but yes that is fairly typical, there are two big reviews per semester (+ two semesters per year): the interim and the final, so the above post describes the two weeks before the interim and probably the three weeks before the final. During those weeks there are no weekends... but generally other weekends will be taken up with the reading/essays that you don't have time for during the week.
spoil_sport

Postby acousticer » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:04 am

wow no wonder why it has the highest drop out rate in college.........i suppose you would really want to like the course if it requires that much work!
but do you have to work till that late at night though or is it on your own accord......like how do you manage to spend all that time in the studio and still end up sometimes stuck for time to complete projects?
where do the lectures come in then as well?

and what's involved in the projects anyway.....designing your own building or something like that is it?

sorry for all the questions.....i really am grateful for your quick replys!
acousticer

Postby spoil_sport » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:32 am

"but do you have to work till that late at night though or is it on your own accord......like how do you manage to spend all that time in the studio and still end up sometimes stuck for time to complete projects?"

Firstly; in college you don't HAVE to anything, yes it is of your own accord.
Scondly; it comes back to the original question, maths and physics? There is no corrct answer in architecture but some answers are more correct than others and there are wrong answers. In architcture there is no direct relationship between work put in and the end result, an awful lot of the work done leads to wrong answers or is done in the search of a better answer. Projects are never finished.

"and what's involved in the projects anyway.....designing your own building or something like that is it?"

oh dear... well yes, most of the time anyway. The projects start small and specific in 1st year [bookshop, house, etc], becoming more complex up to 3rd year [school, library]. 4th and 5th is more about exploration, and is more open and self motivated.
But to be fair, I didn't have a clue what was going on untill 2nd year, didn't get it untill 3rd year and didn't approach it with any sense of sophistication untill 4th or 5th year.
spoil_sport

Postby acousticer » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:03 pm

i suppose though you would nearly want to be doing that amount of work to pass yes!
and where do your lectures come in then?

but so is missing the college life of social events,partying and having the craic :P(besides in the design studio),is it really worth it?.....i suppose if ya really like what ya do?
acousticer

Postby spoil_sport » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:02 pm

Well, that's what I did, and not to blow my own trumpet, but I did quiet well. But like I said, skill, and tallent are big factors, some people work less and do better, others run themselves into the ground and get no where.
As far as I can remember [although the system has changed since] there are about 5 subjects in 1st year, dealing with introduction to structures, construction technology, sustainability, and hisory+theory, with about 2hr lectures each, but your main focus is always design studio. The lectures become less important as you go on.
I never said there was NO social life, just a lot less than your typical 1st year arts/nursing/commerce student, the architecture faculty is also at a physical remove from the main campus, so it is hard to get involved in the main campus socs.
Infact 1st +2nd year, despite the work, were actually fun, there is usually a field trip somewhere which are always eventfull.
But if it is what you want to do, then yes, architecture, despite what could be called the pragmatic goal of making a building, is an exceptionally broad area, covering art, science, philosophy, history, nature, politics(?)... all in the name of making the places that we dwell in, and as such is an incredibly rewarding experience,
spoil_sport

Postby acousticer » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:39 pm

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I really want to go for the course, but there is a part of me that is still having doubts!
I know I definitely want to go for something in design.......just architecture sounds like a lot of work,with limited free time.....not being lazy or anything.....and I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment if I end up not even liking the course!

Would you recommend anything that might be similar to architecture if i was to change my mind.......i was thinking about "Design-Interior and furniture" in the D.I.T (you may have seen my other post)........any opinions about it, or on any other courses?
acousticer

Postby spoil_sport » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:56 pm

I don't want to get myself into trouble with people in that area, but I know people who didn't even finish school and call themselves interior designers, and to be frank, are probably as good as any college grad interior designer Ive come across.
I'd be very wary of any low-fat-archiecture courses like interior design or "engineering with architecture" because they really aren't the same thing. I'd be more inclined to recomend something completely different, graphic design, industrial design, fashion, fine art, furniture (in the pure sense).
If design is what your into then I wouldn't worry about it, the biggest mistake would be to choose architecture because it has some perceived prestige, or the myth that there is good money in it. A good interest in design will get you as far as 3rd year anyway, after which you will have the Part I degree, which if you want to do something else in any other area of design rather than finish the full course, is very valuable.
spoil_sport

Postby acousticer » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:38 pm

ah your killing me man:P
maybe graphic design or fine art so.........but where would they leave you after graduating.......i can't find "graphic design" on qualifax and does fine art not just leave you as an professional artist!

I think I am right for architecture if it involves the design and art of buildings......but just would prefer if it wasn't as much work......life is short enough and we should live it while we're young,i want to enjoy college life!:P
I probably sound like a real ass saying that but anyway!
acousticer

Postby parka » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:42 pm

acousticer wrote:,i want to enjoy college life!:P
I probably sound like a real ass saying that but anyway!

Studying architecture is no different from any other course, a few late nights here and there, but you can still have a good time. (That's the point of going to college in the first place)
parka

Postby acousticer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:56 pm

ha yea exactly what I was tryna imply...........I don't mind a late night here and there........just as long as I'm still able to enjoy the time I will have in college anyway!:D
acousticer

Return to World Architecture