DT132 Design Studies

World architecture... what's happening generally....

DT132 Design Studies

Postby Eppie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:35 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has done this course, or has any details about it?

http://www.dit.ie/DIT/study/parttime2007/programmes/dt132.html

I currently work as a web designer but have no formal design qualifications and would like to acquire some, especially regarding the theory of design. I am wondering if modules such as engineering design, transport design, etc., would go over my head though?

Any replies much appreciated.

:)
Eppie

Re: DT132 Design Studies

Postby rira » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:22 pm

as far as i know the course is aimed at people who are interested in design but have very little background in it so i'm assuming that modules would be pitched at a basic level to start

i don't know much though!
rira

Postby roskav » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:10 pm

I used to teach on the course. I would say that the main thing that you would get out of the course would be an appreciation and a familiarity with the design process. I wouldn't use the word "Theory" as a lot of the work that you do would be practical and studio based. The modules are given by experienced people working in their fields and give the students a basic idea of how a designer would work in those areas. I would really recommend the course to you if you are interested in design generally. If you are only interested in web design you might find it a bit too broad.. although I'm sure it would benefit your work!

Ros
roskav

Postby experiMental » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:29 pm

Eppie wrote:Hi,

I am wondering if modules such as engineering design, transport design, etc., would go over my head though?

Engineering design involves a lot of work - especially with mathematics, physics and materials science. It involves the design of consumer products - like tools, bicycles, etc. Here, you'll need the maths and science principles to specify what materials should be used for the body, what loadings should it withstand and also a bit of visual design to make it look attractive.
experiMental

Return to World Architecture