In search of sample drawings

World architecture... what's happening generally....

In search of sample drawings

Postby bricktop » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:38 pm

Hello all,

I have question about cross-section drawings which some of you helpful peoople can hopefully answer.

I'm doing a project to build an extension to the rear of my house and a porch to the front. Both extensions are quite straight forward and as a result I'm drawing the plans myself. I have completed most of the required elevations but I'm a little unsure about the cross-section drawings.

I have studied a number of designs of other building projects which friends and neighbors have built and I have applied much of the formats and terminology found within those designs to my own.

The problem I'm having is with the cross-section drawing of the rear extension. This extension has a pitched roof with a gable end and is without overhanging eves. To complicate matters, the roof is not symmetrical along the ridge tile as one side wall is vertically extended up to the ridge tile giving the roof a shape like: |\

Basically I have been unable to find some sample *cross-section* drawings that show how the gable wall, trusses and roof tiles interrelate . I have searched through several books in libraries and bookshops to no avail. Can anyone recommend a book or other web resources that has sample drawings which address these issues?

Regards
DM
bricktop

Re: In search of sample drawings

Postby Bren88 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:22 pm

The easiest answer is go and buy the Homebond book. Its a manual on basic domestic construction. Im not sure exactly what you are trying to discribe, sounds like a mono pitch facing 90 degrees to one side. But home bond will have enough in it for you to figure out what to do.
Bren88

Postby bricktop » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:15 pm

Thankyou for your answer Bren88:

The roof is indeed a mono pitch facing 90 degrees to one side. I did not know this term until I saw your answer.
I actually do have the homebond book and I find it excellent but I could not find any drawings of this type within the book. I found this roof type easy to draw as an elevation but not as a cross-section drawing.

Best Regards
DM
bricktop

Postby Bren88 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:54 pm

What is the slope of the roof, I'd imagine it is at the low end of the scale. You might be able to treat the roof as a flat roof and design it from that section for the book. If you pot up some of the details of the roof (span, slope, roof finish) I might br able to give better advice. Maybe even a suitable design.
Bren88

Return to World Architecture