Advice for changing careers to become an Architect

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Advice for changing careers to become an Architect

Postby Lise-Ann B » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:48 pm

Hi

I am looking for some advice or guidance on the possibility of changing careers and studying to become an architect.

After my A Levels I took a year out and got used to having a regular income so decided not to go to university, Instead I began to pursue a career in financial services.

Now aged 23 I work in a financial advisers and am studying for various industry qualifications through work. Recently I decided I should consider if this was the route I wished to take for the future and as a result began looking at other careers considering my personal interests. This led me to architecture as I have always loved drawing and designing and since I was little I have always enjoyed making constructions from Lego etc. I know this is a far cry from architecture but it was something I loved to do but never considered doing for a living.

I have looked at numerous websites to familiarize myself with the route to becoming an architect and I am more than happy to spend the next 7-8 years studying, my concern is whether I would be able to get onto a course considering my age and lack of experience ( I don’t have a portfolio) is there any advice anyone can give me about what I should do to pursue this I am really keen to make this move and don’t want to delay any longer than I have already!!!! Ideally I’d like to study in Dublin

Any feedback is greatly appreciated
Lise-Ann B

Re: Advice for chaning careers to become an Architect

Postby Bren88 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:03 pm

Given your age you would qualify for mature student entry, try contacting both Dublin Institute of Technology and University College Dublin and find out what the process for mature applications is. The selection process is most likely different.
Bren88

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:06 pm

She's in the UK, but I imagine english courses have similar criteria
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby LOB » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:20 pm

Another option is practice based study if full time is a problem
http://www.brookes.ac.uk/schools/be/arc ... /info.html!
LOB

Return to World Architecture