Erasmus

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Erasmus

Postby afm » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:10 pm

Hello All,

I am currently on my year out and have been looking into doing an Erasmus/Socrates exchange next year.
I have been looking at Venice and was wondering if any of you knew much about it or have participated in an exchange with them.
Technically it is possible to go and study anywhere in the EU. Has anyone ever tried to organise an exchange to a university with which their own school has yet no organised exchange programme?
In general, what do you think of exchanges? I have heard from some that students returning from a year abroad are at a disavantage, being relatively unprepared for their final year in the home university. And does anywone know of mature students who have done Erasmus?
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks.
Aileen
afm

Re: Erasmus

Postby LittleLamb » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:24 pm

Hi Aileen

I took part in a Socrates exchange...it was semi-organised by my university so I didnt have to do all the work! I was only away for a term but in that time i had to write my master's thesis. I went to one of the poorer Eastern European countries which have not yet joined the EU. The facilities weren't really up to much but I have to say I do not regret going. It is definitely one of the best things I would say that I ever decided to do. I got my thesis done and overcame the obstacles as well as possible. I have to say though my tutor at home was so unhelpful while I was away so that can be a problem. I would recommend doing a programme like this definitely. you can really immerse yourself in the country you are going to because you will be studying there and maybe working there? I made some great friends, met brilliant people and saw a different aspect of life in that country, visited beautiful places...it was amazing:)
LittleLamb

Return to World Architecture