From engineering to architecture

World architecture... what's happening generally....

From engineering to architecture

Postby Zygnoth » Sun May 15, 2005 4:06 pm

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering does anybody know anything about crossing from engineering to architecture. When I finish my course, I will have an MEng and a BA. I was thinking that this might be useful to shorten the architecture course as some of the modules would overlap.

I know that it was probably 40 years ago, but I read that Santiago Calatrava completed an architecture course and then did a PhD in Civil Engineering afterwards. Does anybody know whether it is possible to do the same thing but in the other direction, like maybe a PhD in architecture?

Anyway, any thoughts would be helpful

Zygnoth
Zygnoth

Re: From engineering to architecture

Postby jamesmcbennett » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:08 pm

I know this post is from ages ago,

But in UCD there is a engineer who is like 50, who is starting from 1st year, so don't think they let you skip, but in my year for example, people who have done architectural technology don't do tech. lectures, but on the more expensive side, Columbia, NY Iveagh League have a M.Arch for 1 and half year course. Possiblly of interest, (Not the standard M.arch they do)

They is also probv loads out there similar.
jamesmcbennett

Postby Zygnoth » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:36 pm

Cheers for that. From what I've heard in the meanwhile, it seems that engineering doesn't get much accreditation, which I suppose is fair enough due to the broad differences between the subjects. I'm sure the discipline of the engineering could help for interviews and the sort.

Does anybody know whether DIT do graduate entry or does everybody have to do the assessment test, interview process? I saw in the Irish Times education section that it was like 590 points for DIT architecture, but if you got like 40 points in the assessment test and flunked the interview, are you still allowed in if you got 550 points in the leaving cert.
Zygnoth

Postby Bren88 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:56 pm

Zygnoth wrote: I saw in the Irish Times education section that it was like 590 points for DIT architecture, but if you got like 40 points in the assessment test and flunked the interview, are you still allowed in if you got 550 points in the leaving cert.

If you get 40 points in the interview you cannot get in Architecture in DIT, even if you get 600 points in the leaving cert. You won't get the opportunity to flunk the interview because they won't offer you one. A score around the 60 mark is required for a call for an interview, and then you can get any score in the interview and as long as your total makes it you get in.

But i don't know how long the assesment test will last. The same test was sat for people who applied for both architecture and architectural technology courses, but as of this year architectural technology have dropped it and the only the interview is used.
Bren88

Return to World Architecture