Anybody abroad looking for a year out student to work for crap wage but great experie

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Anybody abroad looking for a year out student to work for crap wage but great experie

Postby roishball » Sat May 29, 2004 5:55 pm

Hey,
I'm just starting my year out and I'm dying to get some experience, preferably abroad. Problem is ive never had the chance to work in an office before.....you could look at it that im yet to be corrupted.....anyways, is there graduates from Bolton St willing to take me on?
I make good coffee and I'm not a bad designer either.....particularly interested in architecture that uses common materials in interesting ways.......email me if you want to c my cv/ mini portfolio
roishball

Postby signum » Mon May 31, 2004 12:03 am

My advice to you (and I´ve just finished my part I year out) is to send your cv by fax or post to every practice you would consider working for, just posting here (though I imagine you´re not just looking here) won´t be enough. I worked in a practice for a few months, didn´t enjoy it, didn´t learn anything, but it got me on the first rung at least. I wouldn´t commit to a long contract with any office that you think will just use you, nor would I accept an unrealistic wage, it´s scandalous as well as totally unrealistic the wages that many would like, and do pay.

If you can´t get in with the practices you want to work for, you could consider offering yourself for very little, on the condition that you either get employed thereafter (if you´re useful) or that they help you move onto another practice (where you get paid a human wage!)

In holland there is a tendency to let poor students slave away for a few hundred Euro´s a month, just to get the dubious pleasure of working for OMA etc... I was all up for this idea, until I changed my mind, and saw what a terrible attitude this engenders, that while I have trained for four years to become an architect, i should prostitute myself for the honour to work with a bunch of cheapskates?
signum

Postby roishball » Mon May 31, 2004 11:00 am

i guess but in the long scheme of things career wise, even if it does pay crap, is it not worth working for someone whose work is at least a bit exciting. I mean do you think Corb paid his apprentices anything?

I know thats a bit different obviously, but i kinda feel that if you start working with joe bloggs who spends all his time designing housing estates in Lucan,that it wont really be benefical in the future.
roishball

Postby signum » Mon May 31, 2004 12:31 pm

Absolutely, I agree with that point of view - to an extent, but I still don´t believe that just because a practice is doing "exciting things" it means they all of a sudden can´t pay a decent wage. If you truly are useful to them, and hardworking, are they not gaining as much (if not more) from you than yourself from them?

And I wouldn´t advocate working for any old practice, if there was ever a way to suck out the last remaining belief in good architecture from a promising student, it´s to work for one of the many, many souless practices out there :mad:

Seriously, If I hadn´t gone abroad both to learn and work, I think I might have lost all interest and passion for architecture, had I only had the experience I´ve had so far in Scotland - and I´m not trying to unnecessarily rip the scene to shreds or tar it all with the same brush - I might have given up, or worse ended up with a profession I didn´t believe in any more. Maybe I´ve just been unlucky...
signum

Return to World Architecture