Mature Students

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Mature Students

Postby Dirty Gehry » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:58 pm

Hello all,
I am 29 and considering studing architecture in Dublin. Is this possible?, are there any mature students out there who could relate their highs and lows or should I just take out a pension and wait for death??

thanks all...
Dirty Gehry

Postby sw101 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:30 am

One of my best mates and several friends have been mature students. Even having started with a kid in tow, or having kids during college, they still love it and find it very rewarding.

I'd advise trying for Bolton street, but i'm biased, plus most practices i know would choose bolton street over U.C.D graduates. Contact the colleges and talk to anyone you can about it. And good luck :)
sw101

mature students

Postby eefs » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:22 am

Hi - I was just searching the web for anything to do with mature students in architecture. I came across this and started laughing - I'm 28 and thinking about going back to college to study architecture in dublin. So far I've been thinking its too crazy an idea to even consider - but its good to know there's some other crazy people out there too!

if you've come across any people who've done this since you posted your message, would you let me know? i'm mostly wondering how the hell i'd support myself for 5 years. plus i already did a bsc so i'd have to pay the fees this time round. anyway, if you've any info you could share with me, i'd appreciate it!
eefs
eefs

Postby Gabrielle » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:51 pm

I don´t know about Dublin, but I study in Brazil and sometimes we have mature stundets. I don´t think you have to see this like a problem. Never is late to start to do what you want!
Gabrielle

Postby PETER MCGUIRE » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:36 pm

Hi

Im kind of in the same boat, i'm 24 and was in college for 4 years & have been working for the last 2 years. I hate the job to say the least and thaught i might go back to collge to do something else.
However i would i afford to do this? already paying my last student loan and thinking of buying a place?

Is it possible!

Cheers
PETER MCGUIRE

Postby gem99 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:31 pm

all ages are welcome as far as i can see.....some of my old friends (sorry) are 28 and havent finished yet..they are continuing their education through an MA.....why worry as long as you enjoy it..i am 26 and still going...started when i was 18!!! you do crack up every now and again but at the same time I cant see myself doing or enjoying anything else....good luck
gem99

Postby dc » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:41 pm

im 34 and will be starting my 4th year at bolton st in sept. its a tough course for all students. expect long nights not a whole lot of free weekends in the latter years and youll be fairly broke most of the time. still i manage to have a good laugh, i like the course and the social life is good fun...ucd have a good course too and you should consider queens.
dc

Mature student

Postby gerryq » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:59 pm

Ay Dc..
you say you started out as a mature student. So was it a case of deciding that although it was a new area for you ya felt you would be interested and went for it?? Did you then have to come up with a portfolio to apply to the colleges.. also what courses did you go for.. was it just the DIT ones or did you apply to a loada different places?!?

thinkin of taking a similar step myself...

cheers
gerryq

Return to World Architecture