computer use on architecture

World architecture... what's happening generally....

computer use on architecture

Postby erevos_archit » Tue May 27, 2003 5:35 pm

We are 2 students from athens architectural polytechnic school, doing a research about how some great architects(ghery, eisenman, koolhaas,un studio etc.) use computers and digital technology in their work.Does anyone have any interesting information about it?
erevos_archit

Postby sw101 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:59 am

ghery? great architect? contravercial.

i know the guggenheim was modelled on computer using the same software as they use to manufacture steel plates for use on the exterior of ships. i think they might have used similar software to model the underlying structure, but this steel formwork in no way matches the finesse and quality of the skin.

the most interesting work done on computers is in the area of digital space and all that stuff. look at work by lars spuybroek with nox,max hollein maybe, read Hybrid space : new forms in digital architecture by Peter Zellner, stuff like that.

i dont think the big names use computers in any really interesting ways, look at foster and associates, or terry farrell for cutting edge technology applied on a large scale. the philosophies and applications by small firms, inventing software for themselves and using computers in revolutionary ways is far more engaging.

how do you spell contravershell?
sw101

Return to World Architecture