mentor initiative

World architecture... what's happening generally....

mentor initiative

Postby coling » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:10 pm

I am involved in the implementation of a new initiative for architectural education called mentoring. This is being launched in Scotland to coincide with the next academic year in 2003.

The idea is to establish relationships between students and practice from an early stage in training, so that academic education can be supplemented by practical exposure.

I am keen to hear views with regard to this concept from both practice and students.
coling

Postby MG » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:27 pm

An excellent idea - more on the job training is definitely required. Its all very well and good working on projects at college but they are largely theoretical as they will not be built.
MG

Postby coling » Sat May 17, 2003 1:17 pm

Another benefit of mentoring is that it affords students the opportunity to supplement their cv's with practical experience thus making the sourcing of post-graduate employment considerably easier. Additionally, it allows practice to gain an insight into the next generation of architectural thinking which we hope will raise the level of debate within the profession.
This initiative is being run by lintol in partnership with the local scottish chapters. Initial cynicism from certain quarters has quickly evaporated as the reaction of participating parties has been universally positive.
Further information regarding this initiative can be gained by accessing http://www.lintol.com and requesting details through the feedback section.
coling

Postby canden » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:13 am

This mentor system seems like something that I would have loved to have for the last few years. I am at the end of my third year studying architecture in Scotland and will be working as an intern next year. I feel VERY unprepared to begin working in an office and have been given almost no help in preparing for this transition between theoretical and practical design. This is a huge shortcoming in the layout of my course and the introduction of a mentor system would help to break down this huge barrier that I feel I am about to run into head first.
A great idea.
canden

Postby coling » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:43 am

I am encouraged by your reponse.
There is little doubt that by establishing a better framework for connecting the worlds of academia and practice, conditions for those entering the profession will improve. lintol believe that by establishing a better foundation for the future of architecture, the profession as a whole will benefit as will the creative output of practices.
We recently presented the mentor initiative to students of RGIT and ECA and are currently working with the Local Chapters in Glasgow and Edinburgh to develop basic guidelines for the mentor process. At present this is likely to be set at around a one hour consultation every two weeks. However, once relations are established it is possible that students may be given employment opportunities that could assist them both educationally and financially throughout their training period.
Although we have spoken to ASSA (Scottish School Heads) we are keen to make direct contact with other Student bodies to hear their views regarding this initiative. The reaction from practice has been overwhelmingly positive but students also need to buy into this initiative to make it happen.
coling

Return to World Architecture