advice on where to study architecture?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

advice on where to study architecture?

Postby Euphon » Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:05 pm

I'm currently looking at where to study architecture abroad. (I've already completed a design degree in Ireland, need a change of environment for the next one)
Where is advisable to apply to in the UK? Or does anyone know of courses on the continent that can be done through English? I'm looking for very conceptually based courses.

Thanks.
Euphon

Postby bellc » Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:46 pm

The Architectural Association on Bedford Square in London would be considered to be one of the best.
Nearly everybody of repute in the field of architecture has passed through its doors either as a teacher or a student: Zaha Hadid, Rem Koolhaus, Daniel Libeskind, Ron Herron, Nigel Coates, Tom Henegan . . . Archigram emerged from the AA . . . the list is endless.
As a student from another college and discipline, I worked on a joint project with AA students and in the process attended some riveting juries/crits that would go on late into the evening. I enjoyed it immensely precisely because they are immersed in concept.
As a priority, the emphasis is on experimental, philosophical, non-linear approaches to problem-solving and learning...

Pretencious (sic?) (moi?)
Yes... they do take themselves incredibly seriously and their, at times, willful obsfucation of the English language gets a bit tedious, but if it's a change of atmosphere you're looking for it'll be like a shot (of something good) in the arm.
It is tres expensive, and there is a touch of the 'finishing school for rich kids' vibe about it, but they offer scholarships, and as for the rich kids, I believe they've created a special unit to deal with them. (Joke!! I think)
The have a great publications division too, Irma Boom designed their most recent publication, and a fab bookshop is downstairs. Need I say more...?
Otherwise the course at Cambridge is well respected, and possibly, but less certainly, the RCA in London.
Good luck!
bellc

Postby bellc » Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:51 pm

architecturaal association
school of architecture
36 Bedford Square
London WC1B 3ES

http://www.aaschool.ac.uk
ph:0044(0)2078874000
bellc

Postby DARA H » Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:31 pm

Cardiff university apparently gets pretty high ratings in education lists etc. Cardiff - cheap & easy to stay in as students & very conveneint. Met some belgian and greek arch students getting topup masters etc when there so you probably wouldn't be the only foreign student! Campus area is very nice and litterally a stone throw from the city centre.
See their website.
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/departments
see also their city & regional planning dept. and engineering dept.s as related subjects!
DARA H

Postby trace » Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:23 pm

trace

Postby Euphon » Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:28 pm

thanks for all the replies,

I am applying to the AA but as it stands the fees are probably out of reach for me at £11,340 (sterling) thats 18,000 euro a year!

also, do you know if the berlage do courses through english, i called a university in delft (not sure if thats the berlage) and was told all courses are through dutch. Likewise all colleges i called in spain, sweden and germany were through the national language.
Euphon

Postby bellc » Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:36 pm

Remember to check out your grant entitlements. As a citizen normally resident in the EU, this entitles you to apply for grants available under its auspices, usually a straightforward enough thing.
I know the AA is very expensive, it is a bit of a bummer.
(They do run a visiting teacher's programme for free though.)
Again, good luck.

ps: hope you like the pic i got from a friend. caption: Why the world needs architects
Attachments
columnlight[1].jpg
bellc

Postby Martijn » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:30 am

what you called in Delft must be the TU Delft, you can also study architecture there (and can do some courses in english), the Berlage Institute is in Rotterdam and is just for postgraduate students webbsite: http://www.berlage-institute.nl/
Martijn

study architecture

Postby smatt » Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:14 pm

I am also interested to take up studies in architecture. I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree from a Canadian university, It's my preference to take up studies without having to complete another undergraduate degree, I'm 34 and work as a sculpture and designer in film. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might look for a suitable program. I have heard of a Masters Degree in Architecture which doesn't require an Undergradute Degree in Arch. That was in Canada though. Anything like that here ?
thx
SMatt
smatt

Postby sw101 » Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:52 pm

copenhagen and lund(across the water in sweden) offer courses in english. i know of people who went there and got by with only a rudimentary grasp of the language and they got by fine. not sure how prestigious or pretentious they are but its worth a try
sw101

Postby Copo » Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:37 pm

Copenhagen is an excellant school, that has great facilities and excellant tutors (its also a fantastic city). Unfortunely all full-time students must pass a compulsary Danish exam as an entry requirement. It is likely though that you could communicate in english once you've gained entry. The normal course duration for an architectural degree is usually 12-14 semesters, which is probally longer than your average architectural school.
Copo

Come to Sheffield!

Postby marie » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:39 pm

I'm currently in 1st Year Architecture in Sheffield, having done previous third level studies in Dublin and like you, needing a fresh place to start on this next stage ... There are a few other mature students in the class, but more would be very welcome! Please email me if you want to find out more - I would be happy to answer any queries.
marie

Ahhh

Postby orellanam » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:02 pm

I have to decide where to study architecture by the end of this week. i am currntly studing in Sydney but I am form Spain and im open to any suggestion around the world. If any one colu suggest a good universyty i will really appreciate it. THanku
orellanam

Return to World Architecture