Where are all the colleges? Very happy if you could help.

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Where are all the colleges? Very happy if you could help.

Postby archy » Sat Sep 21, 2002 6:44 am

Hello to you,
I was hoping someone could let me know or point me in the right direction of a list of well respected architecture degree courses. I would like to study in the Europe area. If you help me I will more informed than I was before.
................. Thank you .............
archy

Postby farazarchi » Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:26 am

....archy..
I could help you ,in case i know where you are from?
farazarchi

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:01 pm

Can you narrow it down a bit?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby greenarch » Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:01 pm

why are you tyring to limit his options...and thus, his potential? Ha!

Here's a hint archy.....stay out of Ireland if your serious about architecture. Work here sure, but don't study here. I'm not trying to slag Ireland, its just the facts. Of course, I would expect many of my collegues to disagree, which would be nice to see and here, but without merit. There are a few good architects in the country, but most of them have come from foreign schools. The downfall of the architecture schools here are their unbalanced programmes.

Stick to schools in the UK or US if you are lucky enough to go. Schools who put a high priority on design, and studio time. Schools that have curriculums modelled from the Harvard school of Architecture. A great architect once said that you can teach anyone to draw, but you can't teach anyone to design. Give yourself the best start possible and choose a school that will help you develop your design skills. At the very least you will find out if you have the guts of an architect or not.

good luck.
greenarch

sound advice

Postby archy » Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:44 pm

I thank you, greenarch, your advice is very well recieved. You say UK or US. I had rather a romantic notion that there would be some excellent teaching establishments based in Italy, you did not metion them, so I gather my notion was not based in reality.
I agree with you when you say much time must be spent on design and nurturing it to see if there is any spark of talent at all. I will investigate further. It is good to have gotten a few words of wisdom however.
Also I really hate to dissapoint but it is not a 'he', tis' a 'she'.
archy

Postby dnh » Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:54 pm

Keep away from France and Italy, they really only specalise in Architecture factories. Most of the schools are enormous so the level of personal attention slides. UK probably the best bet.
dnh

Return to World Architecture