anyone for Scotland this year!

World architecture... what's happening generally....

anyone for Scotland this year!

Postby bren » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:10 pm

hey, I just completed my degree in architectural technology at WIT and have been offered a place to enter third year in architecture at Heriot Watt University (College of Art) in Edinburgh of which I am in the process of accepting. I wonder if their is somebody who previously studied their or somebody studying their at the present moment that may be able to provide me with some insight as to what it is like! Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.
bren

Postby dnh » Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:55 pm

I studied at ECA for 4 years, did Erasmus for one year. Graduated a year ago. I've got nothing but good things to say about it. Anyone that left for the Mac or Bartlett after third year regretted it deeply.
They've got the best studios in the UK, which they strictly insist you work in every day, if you're not there you're out.
The fact that ECA is an Art collge is really important, I really miss the trip through the sculpture court to get to the Architecture Dept.
The tutors vary like in any school, but there is no specific design agendas like there is in alot of other schools. The decision not to repeat the Leaving Cert and stay in Ireland, and go to Edinburgh instead was one of the best I ever made!!
dnh

Postby Jack » Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:32 pm

....I have an application in with the eca aswell..........went for an interview there and was well impressed with the surroundings and the facilities.....I musn't have done aswell as bren cause I only managed an offer of 2nd year entry..........Queen's in Belfast gave me the same offer so I'm thinkin of headin there now..............but everybody I've talked to says the eca is excellent, as it has a lot more to offer than just being situated in an art school- by the way Nicholas Grimshaw is a past pupil...........so am I makin a mistake here?
Jack

Postby dnh » Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:55 pm

Go to ECA!! Quite alot of people leave Queens after third year for ECA. I don't think there is much of a comparison.
dnh

Return to World Architecture