Course in UCC & CIT

Course in UCC & CIT

Postby sprucemoose » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:03 pm

I am planning on studying architecture in Cork next year and I was just looking for any information on the course that past or present students might have.Literally any info would be helpful but there are a few things I was wondering about in particular:
-would the time spent on the course stop me from continuing to play sport?
-is it a problem that I'm not studying Art or DCG for my leaving cert?
-would Applied Maths be of any use to me?
The reason I ask about App. Maths is that my brother (a civil eng. graduate) said I should keep it on, as previously I was considering doing civil/structural engineering and he told me that it would be a great help.However, if it is no use I may give it up (it's a after-school subject) so I could spend more time on other subjects.Also, would App. Maths help me if I was to study Architectural Technology?

Thanks
sprucemoose

Re: Course in UCC & CIT

Postby spoil_sport » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:34 pm

No info on UCC directly as it wasn't around when I stared; and I'm not knocking it or passing judgement on it in any way, but may I ask why not Dublin?

UCD -last time I checked- was the only Irish school to be accredited by the RIBA, which makes some things slightly easier if you ever move to the UK later (as I did)

If I assume its a distance/convenience thing, I would just caution, that's not really a good enough reason, its a 5 year + commitment, don't be put off by distance, or preconceived notions about Dublin, or whatever (I could be completely off the mark here, apologies if I am) but just be aware of all your options.

Just as an aside, in the UK its actually common to do the Part 1 and Part 2 in different colleges, considering that many new schools have opened in Ireland since I did the Part 1, it seems like it is an option worth looking into.

To answer your specific questions
-Time spent on the course will severely curtail your sporting activity, although it shouldn't stop you completely. (If you do find yourself with loads of free time, then there's something wrong)
-Not really a problem if you don't have art, I didn't and I turned out fine (I did tech drawing as it happens)
-No, applied maths is of absolutely no use for architecture, although if you want to keep your options open as regards Engineering, maybe listen to your brother.
spoil_sport

Postby sprucemoose » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:46 am

I know what you mean about UCD, it would probably be no.1 on my CAO but unfortunately money is a big problem.I'll only barely be able to survive the next couple of years by living at home and borrowing the capitation fees from my family.I understand that going to UCD would be a better option (my guidance counsellor even told me to apply to universities in the UK) but seeing as I've never managed to get a proper part-time job and won't be able to borrow the money I think UCC is my only option.I agree that they might not seem like good enough reasons and I should "invest in my future" so to speak, but if it was a choice in doing architecture in Cork (which may not have the reputation other schools have) or doing a course in UCC that is world-renowned (such as commerce) I'd have to pick the one I actually have interest in.Also, working abroad should (hopefully anyway) not be a problem as at the recent open day in UCC, the current students that I was speaking to said that as soon as they are finished they're going abroad.Unfortunately that's the way with most architects these day isn't it?
Thanks for replying and the info you gave me by the way.
sprucemoose

Postby adrian5987 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:15 am

spoil_sport is pretty much spot on but il add in a bit
you will still have time to play sport but will definately struggle by senior cycle. David McMillan now at St. Pats Athletic is a testiment to that. (well im not 100% if he is still doing arch this year i dont know the lad, but he definately did both when playing for ucd, im pretty sure he finished part1, i would be suprised if he was still doing arch to be honest)
another option you may not have thought of would be do your part 1 in cork and transfer to do your senior cycle elsewhere. but it will require work, eg min grade required... really work and you could get a scholarship. Tom De Paor switched between DIT and UCD for his degree(Dont be worried if you havnt heard of him). Switching doesnt happen in Ireland much, but its very common in the UK and europe. Ah i see spoil sport actually covered that...was dozing off when i first read it
just to say Scotland also has free education, and cheaper cost of living, so the likes of Dundee and Macintosh would be worth a look... Dundee come to Ireland for the interview too (or at least they used to)
i dont know how long spoil sport is out of college so i could be wrong but i dont think the RIBA accreditation has much influence anymore... under the european directive the RIAI is recognised throughout Europe. It would be a help going outside of Europe as RIBA would be recognised more then
adrian5987

Return to Ireland