The sensitive issue of the title "Architect" and the Buildin

Re: The sensitive issue of the title "Architect" and the Building Control Bill

Postby CK » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:37 pm

henno wrote:I dont understand why you would consider 'Architectural Technicians' as being able to 'design' to standard comparable with formally educated 'Architects'. There may be some who can, but the majority are focused on the science and building physics of construction.

I dont consider technicians comparable to architects in conceptual design in the same way that i dont consider architects comparable to technicians in the detailed design solutions of construction problems.

I am a technician, ACIAT status, and cant join RIAI as a tech member because i dont work in (for!) an RIAI reg office (architect). I am much more interested in having my own professional capabilities recognised legally in order to be able to practise without dealing with the ignorance which exists in the industry ie solicitors and financial institutions.

My fear is that the BCA will enforce these ignorances and lead to 'architect only' led construction projects, similar to what currently exists in the dept of education.

But do you design buildings? And if so, can you explain the difference between a building designed by an architect and another one designed by an arch tech?

Or do you only carry out construction design?
CK

Postby henno » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:50 pm

CK wrote:But do you design buildings? And if so, can you explain the difference between a building designed by an architect and another one designed by an arch tech?

Or do you only carry out construction design?

I design buildings, I do not claim to be an Architect. I am proud to correct clients and tell them i am an Architectural Technician.

I believe the difference in buildings designed by architects compared to technicians is very much down to the individuals.

i believe architects are better able to explain or "sell" their designs to clients than technicians and thus the more contemporary or non-standard building forms tend to be designed by architects. Technicians tend to design on the safe side, which actually seems to be preferable to rural planners.
henno

Postby gunter » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:50 pm

CK wrote:You are mistaking about me. I have a Master in Arts and Architecture, and my qualification is missing courses related to building technologies, services and structural engineering to comply with section 46 of the EU directive for the recognition of professional qualifications.

My studies were centered on the practice of architecture as an Art rather than a Technology. For this reason I feel very surprised when the RIAI propose me to register as a technologist. This does not make any sense.

Sorry CK, I did read that earlier, but then managed to forget it.

CK wrote:I have designed dormer bungalows for my clients. In some circumstances, planning restrictions do not permit 2 storeys dwellings and a dormer is the best answer. A dormer bungalow can be a nice dwelling. A dwelling does not have to look preety to be interesting. Arts and architecture can be simple and match their environment. You seem to think that a building needs to be standing out to be considered as an architectural creation. I completely disagree with you on this point.

An architectural creation is an agreeable building. It does not have to be different and to visualy stand out...

Haven't time to fully answer this, but no I don't believe that buildings have to stand out and I'm all for low-key, but still good-quality building that wouldn't normally make it into the architecture magazines.

The 'Dorner Bungalow' is really an analogy for any soft option that by-passes the need to invest architectural integrity into the design process.

This the real stumbling block,
. . . . we all have different skill levels and different abilities, but the architect is supposed to know that there is a difference between choozing the soft option and choosing integrity.

If your course didn't get this message across, then maybe that's the reason it isn't recognised.
gunter
Old Master

Postby foremanjoe » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:18 pm

gunter wrote:. . . . we all have different skill levels and different abilities, but the architect is supposed to know that there is a difference between choozing the soft option and choosing integrity.

If your course didn't get this message across, then maybe that's the reason it isn't recognised.

Could you explain what you understand 'integrity' to mean in relation to architectural practice gunter?
foremanjoe

Postby CK » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:23 pm

gunter wrote:Sorry CK, I did read that earlier, but then managed to forget it.

. . . . we all have different skill levels and different abilities, but the architect is supposed to know that there is a difference between choozing the soft option and choosing integrity.

I agree with foremanjoe there... Integrity is a moral or ethycal quality which is not related to knowledge or study... It is not related to skills or qualification...
CK

Postby foremanjoe » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:31 pm

CK wrote:I agree with foremanjoe there... Integrity is a moral or ethycal quality which is not related to knowledge or study... It is not related to skills or qualification...

Woah, woah, woah!

Don't assume that you know what I'm getting at with my previous question, it was not a statement on my position, it was an appeal for gunter to clarify his.

Don't go offering gunter a route out of it CK, I want a relatively direct answer to my relatively direct question.
foremanjoe

Postby CK » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:56 pm

foremanjoe wrote:Woah, woah, woah!

Don't assume that you know what I'm getting at with my previous question, it was not a statement on my position, it was an appeal for gunter to clarify his.

Don't go offering gunter a route out of it CK, I want a relatively direct answer to my relatively direct question.

Sorry,

I did not mean to interfer... But the fact is that the term "integrity" does not seem to make sense in the context used by Gunter... Unless he pretends that integrity is a quality that would be taught in university... But if it is what he means, then I strongly desagree... Many professional act unethicaly and architects are not an exception. Integrity is a moral issue, it is not related to professional knowledge or skills.
CK

Postby wearnicehats » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:07 pm

my definition would be knowing the difference between:

lashing up any old shite to satisfy a parsimonious client who doesn't care

actually trying to erect something of worth to the built environment and those who inhabit it

that CK purports to know the difference is irony in the extreme
wearnicehats

Postby CK » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:14 pm

wearnicehats wrote:my definition would be knowing the difference between:

lashing up any old shite to satisfy a parsimonious client who doesn't care

actually trying to erect something of worth to the built environment and those who inhabit it

that CK purports to know the difference is irony in the extreme

Well... What is your problem? You are obviously not positively contributing to this thread... You pretend being an architect, but you are far to have the comunication skills required...
CK

Postby wearnicehats » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:12 pm

CK wrote:Well... What is your problem? You are obviously not positively contributing to this thread... You pretend being an architect, but you are far to have the comunication skills required...

but you are far to have the comunication skills required - the irony continues

I keep answering your questions and giving you solutions but you are so wrapped up in your own assertion that you are above the system that you can't see it

Do you carry PI insurance by the way?
wearnicehats

Postby CK » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:24 pm

wearnicehats wrote:but you are far to have the comunication skills required - the irony continues

I keep answering your questions and giving you solutions but you are so wrapped up in your own assertion that you are above the system that you can't see it

Do you carry PI insurance by the way?

Yes Wearnicehats I do... But I do not pretend to be above the system... I just say that there is a problem with regard to the registration as carried out by the RIAI.

The monstruous fees requested to pass the exam represent a financial selection that is unjustified. I took contact with institutes around the world and also institutes of other professions. None are asking for such fees to apply for membership through experience.

Nobody is realy checking how is the RIAI implementing the registration procedure and that is a problem... I think that this is not only my opinion...
CK

Postby gunter » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:14 pm

You try and get some work done for a couple of hours . . .

foremanjoe wrote:Could you explain what you understand 'integrity' to mean in relation to architectural practice, gunter?

CK wrote:Integrity is a moral or ethycal quality which is not related to knowledge or study... It is not related to skills or qualification...

foremanjoe wrote:Don't go offering gunter a route out of it CK, I want a relatively direct answer to my relatively direct question.

First off, that was a quick reply, didn't have time to reflect on it, was late for a meeting. Secondly I probably should have used the phrase 'architectural integrity', not just 'integrity'.

That's all the excuses I'm going to make. If I'm going to have to start explaining what integrity is, there's probably no point in even having this conversation.

For what it's worth, I see everything in a historical perspective, I've tried looking into the future and it doesn't work for me, all the pages are blank, I'm not getting any clues.

Taking this approach, if you look at architecture in a historical perspective, it can be quite easy to see the path of progress in any given phase. Even in quite short time segments, we can see how one architect developed what he observed another architect do, or what he had done himself in an earlier project. It reads as a kind of collective will to make incremental advances, raise the bar, and cliches to that effect. Sometimes the architect has gone back in order to go forwards and inevtably there are periods of confusion, even regression, but usually we can still read in the record the desire to do better.

To me that's architectural integrity, just knowing enough to know we share some common purpose, that we're trying to represent our era to the best of our ability and that we're trying to lead our clients through a process in which we have far more expertise than they do.

Coming back to the 'dormer bungalow' analogy, this is where it's just not good enough to give some guy a dormer bungalow even if that's what he's asking for and even if you know the planning office will cheerfully wave it through. You only have to look at the Irish countryside to know that it doesn't have architectural integrity, it neither responds to the vernacular building traditions, nor reflects contemporary strands in architectural development.

This is getting long-winded, we let wearnicehats to chuck in a few insults and we'll continue this later
gunter
Old Master

Postby foremanjoe » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:15 pm

Gunter, I think you were trying to avoid my question but you then seem to have stumbled right back into it.

Your previous argument suggested that what separates 'good' architects from 'bad' or non-architects is the presence or absence of integrity.
For this, say 10 Hail Mary's and an Our Father, for you have sinned against your fellow man.
You may be excused from this penance if you can come up with a legitimate method for measuring or examining integrity that the RIAI can then use to decide which architects it may register and which ones it will kick to the kirb.

Secondly, when you were caught up on this position you tried to worm your way out of it by suggesting that you meant 'architectural' integrity, as opposed to integrity itself which is a quality or condition that can be objectively defined, unlike your proposed 'architectural integrity' which, due to its subjective nature, can be moulded and manipulated to fit in with whichever narrow, personal viewpoint on architecture one wishes to adhere to, as you subsequently demonstrated by elaborating on your own narrow, personal viewpoint on what architectural integrity is.

One definition of integrity is a 'steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code'.
However, gunter, seeing as you appear incapable of even steadfastly adhering to your own position(s) in this discussion I cannot see how it might be possible for you to stick to an even more rigid moral or ethical code, let alone recognise and define one.

Good day sir.
foremanjoe

Postby gunter » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:51 pm

. . . can someone help me out here, I don't seem to be explaining this properly
gunter
Old Master

Postby wearnicehats » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:35 am

gunter wrote:. . . can someone help me out here, I don't seem to be explaining this properly

you're trying to be nice to people who are just looking for a fight. And one they don't have to pay for either.

Since people are using the internet to define "integrity" you might like to know that Rousseau said that "insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong" Regardless, I think my definition is the correct one

And, more to the point, I wouldn't want anyone to confuse me with someone who gives a fuck.
wearnicehats

Postby RKQ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:09 am

wearnicehats wrote:you're trying to be nice to people who are just looking for a fight.

"insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong"

fuck.

Is this an example of Insults being employed as arguments?

Why so aggressive?
Why use foul language? .

Are certain contributers suffering from the "I'm a legend in my own lunchbox".

It would be nice if we could debate in a mature fashion without personal insults or foul language.
RKQ

Postby wearnicehats » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:18 am

you're right. I'm sorry. earthy language has no place here. I'll leave this thread alone now to wallow in its own self pity. has anyone seen my cilice?
wearnicehats

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:56 am

Meantime, in his last column as RIAI president, architect Sean O'Laoire says that the registration of architects "will not immediately transform lives or enhance prospects of a decent living".

Neither will the new government policy on architecture, now with statutory effect yield dividends.

However, taken together, Mr O'Laoire believes that "a new epoch-defining convergence" offers hope to members whose livelihoods have been blighted by the current recession.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:54 am

missarchi
Old Master

Postby CK » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:50 am

Paul Clerkin wrote:Meantime, in his last column as RIAI president, architect Sean O'Laoire says that the registration of architects "will not immediately transform lives or enhance prospects of a decent living".

Neither will the new government policy on architecture, now with statutory effect yield dividends.

However, taken together, Mr O'Laoire believes that "a new epoch-defining convergence" offers hope to members whose livelihoods have been blighted by the current recession.

It would be time for the R.I.A.I. to start acting for architecture and the public instead of considering the interests of their members first...

So much hypocrisy from their part about the registration of the title "Architect". They are misleading consumers all the way... The declaration from their president as quoted above is another proof of their agenda...
CK

Postby missarchi » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:41 am

another drop out...

“I went to university but soon realised it wasn’t doing me any good and dropped out.”

Read more: http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=430&storycode=3157158&channel=783&c=2#ixzz0eNEemZeU

invites only:p
missarchi
Old Master

Postby onq » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:04 pm

foremanjoe wrote:Your previous argument suggested that what separates 'good' architects from 'bad' or non-architects is the presence or absence of integrity.
<snip>.

This is a nonsense argument.

Gunter's previous definition of integrity is correct in relation to being a professional architect.

"Integrity" attaches to the "professional" part.

"Architectural integrity" attaches to the "architect" part.

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby onq » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:09 pm

CK wrote:It would be time for the R.I.A.I. to start acting for architecture and the public instead of considering the interests of their members first...

So much hypocrisy from their part about the registration of the title "Architect". They are misleading consumers all the way... The declaration from their president as quoted above is another proof of their agenda...

There seems to be a move towards an increasing duty of care to third parties - Members of the public certainly - but also users of buildings beyond the client or the beneficiary of a collateral warranty.

The protection of the title relates to persons eligible to be registered / become RIAI Members.

The implication is that Architects are deemed to be persons who follow the RIAI code, i.e. by discharging duties honourably and competently.

By the process of vetting their Members before admission the RIAI provides a screening function which the public can rely on when retaining the services of someone calling themselves an architect. This is why RIAI members were admitted automatically to the Register. Similar screening processes are available for (i) Graduate Architects, (ii) persons of long standing without qualification providing Architectural Services and (iii) Architectural/Building Technicians providing Architectural Services.

That's the theory as I understand it anyway and I'm happy to be corrected on this.

To return to your stated concerns CK - and let's say I accept your disparaging remarks about the RIAI for a moment - the fact that the RIAI is now operating in the public eye like the ILS and has statutory powers to revoke a registration means that the public WILL benefit, rogue archtiects WILL be restricted and the RIAI, whatever state is may or may not be in, can only improve its game over time, given an active policy of vetting its decisions by the general public.

In my opinion, this can only be a good thing, however it is arrived at.

And if the application process self assessment matrix exposes a few flaws in learning or experience that need to be corrected before presentation for the Registration process, the applicant will be the better for it, even if its only to learn a little humility at the hands of his/her peers... a little humility is something we can all benefit from now and again...

ONQ,
onq
Old Master

Postby gunter » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:05 am

onq wrote:
. . . . and the RIAI, whatever state is may or may not be in, can only improve its game over time, given an active policy of vetting its decisions by the general public.

ONQ,

What are you getting at there, onq? . . . . has sobybody started a 'rate my architect' site?
gunter
Old Master

Postby CK » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:02 am

onq wrote:There seems to be a move towards an increasing duty of care to third parties - Members of the public certainly - but also users of buildings beyond the client or the beneficiary of a collateral warranty.

The protection of the title relates to persons eligible to be registered / become RIAI Members.

The implication is that Architects are deemed to be persons who follow the RIAI code, i.e. by discharging duties honourably and competently.

By the process of vetting their Members before admission the RIAI provides a screening function which the public can rely on when retaining the services of someone calling themselves an architect. This is why RIAI members were admitted automatically to the Register. Similar screening processes are available for (i) Graduate Architects, (ii) persons of long standing without qualification providing Architectural Services and (iii) Architectural/Building Technicians providing Architectural Services.

That's the theory as I understand it anyway and I'm happy to be corrected on this.

To return to your stated concerns CK - and let's say I accept your disparaging remarks about the RIAI for a moment - the fact that the RIAI is now operating in the public eye like the ILS and has statutory powers to revoke a registration means that the public WILL benefit, rogue archtiects WILL be restricted and the RIAI, whatever state is may or may not be in, can only improve its game over time, given an active policy of vetting its decisions by the general public.

In my opinion, this can only be a good thing, however it is arrived at.

And if the application process self assessment matrix exposes a few flaws in learning or experience that need to be corrected before presentation for the Registration process, the applicant will be the better for it, even if its only to learn a little humility at the hands of his/her peers... a little humility is something we can all benefit from now and again...

ONQ,

Hi ONQ,

My personal experience about the registration procedure is that the RIAI is trying to limit as much as possible the numbers of architects to be registered. It is not related to the skills and the knowledge as it should be to protect the public.

For the purpose of comparing fees, I have contacted, the A.R.B. (UK), the C.I.A.T. (Technicians UK), l’ Ordre des Architectes (Architects France) and I.E.I (Irish Engineers). I found that these institutes request only a small fraction of the sum charged by the A.R.A.E. for a professional examination based on experience. The A.R.A.E. claims that fees charged for the examination only cover their cost €11,500 (exam) + €1,800 (lectures), so how can other institutes charge only a small fraction of these sums for an exam of similar level? The fees of €6,500 requested by the R.I.A.I. Technical assessment board are also very expensive compared to other institutes…

R.I.A.I. members were always privileged with the procedure. M.R.I.A.I. have paid the lowest fees for registration and they were the first on the register list. The R.I.A.I. were already informing the public about the necessity for an architect to be registered when the registration was in place for their members only and not for other applicants. The R.I.A.I. has used its position as the registration body to promote its members.

Part 3 of the BCA 2007, in its application for registration by the R.I.A.I., is not equitable for architects with more than 7 years of experience working in the state who are requested to pass a prescribed register examination. This examination as described by the R.I.A.I. and the A.R.A.E (appointed by the R.I.A.I. to prepare the register examination) requests the knowledge and skills of a newly qualified architect, it is not appropriate for experienced architects. Many experienced MRIAI architects would fail the exam, because it does not suit experienced professionals who specialized in a field of architecture. Architects, as many other professionals are specializing within small, medium or large practices, delivering services for small, medium or large projects. The specialization is also related to the type of projects, such as residential, commercial, industrial and so on. It can also be related to the practice of architecture itself, planning, design, project management, technology, theory, etc… The A.R.A.E. examination is focusing on every aspects of architecture in general, and this approach does not reflect the skills of experienced architects, but the academic skills of newly qualified and inexperienced professionals who have not yet found their way within the professional world.
CK

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland