Swifts Row

Swifts Row

Postby crb83 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Was wondering if anyone had any old photos of Swifts Row between Strand & Ormond Quay. From what I can tell the old georgian-style houses were demolished for a big hotel on the corner but I'm not sure when it occurred.

Also can anyone tell me where to get rocque's 1756 map of Dublin? I found a few books containing it but they're currently out of print.
crb83

Re: Swifts Row

Postby gunter » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:34 pm

There's a couple of shots of the entrance to Swift's Row [south end of Jervis Street] showing the original Ormond Quay houses on either side, but I haven't noticed any particular views of the street itself prior to redevelopment. When we say 'original', several of these houses will likely have been Georgian re-modellings of earlier gabled houses, but I suppose we better not go there.

I think the Hotel replaced a 1960s building housing the Ormond Printing works which in turn had replaced the houses at 16 - 18 Ormond Quay, seen below

14 - 18 Ormond Quay with entrance to Swift's Row

19 - 26 Ormond Quay

For Rocque's map, and a wealth of other maps and information, this is the publication for you:

The Dublin Historic Towns Atlas [part 2]

It can be had in Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street, or if sold out, further up the street from the Royal Irish Academy building itself, beside the Mansion House. I'm saving up to get one for Devin . . . . and try to get him up to speed.
gunter
Old Master

Postby OisinT » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:43 am

The hotel has done a nice job with the corner though, and a beautiful job restoring the townhouse they didn't demolish.
OisinT

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Those houses were demolished in 1963/4 to make way for the printworks of 1965.

Under demolition
http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/im ... d-printing

Newly built
http://archiseek.com/2012/1965-ormond-p ... ay-dublin/
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Return to Ireland