€200m Development in Mahon

€200m Development in Mahon

Postby Yossarian » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Yossarian

Re: €200m Development in Mahon

Postby daniel_7 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:55 pm

This is one of the many developments that the nra decided to block in and around the cork area but the city council went up to Dublin and had a meeting with them and had the decision over turned. One of the reasons the city council got involved i would presume, to there credit was this area was mapped out by them for this type of development and they had a consultation process going with a proven developer whos neighboring site is i think 90% full now with the new private hospital opening there recently. This developer, John Cleary said he was willing to bring more jobs there if given the go ahead and in the times were in anything thats going to keep people in the country rather than emigrating needs to be given as much backing it can get to be honest. Why is there so much developments being turned down over miniscule reasons when they would be creating jobs in these absolutly horendous times some poeple are going through trying to find work so they can hold on to their houses and put food on the table for their familys. He had said that he already lined up some multi nationals who were willing to locate there. He said this and said he really needed it to get off the ground so the companies would still be interested rather than looking elsewhere and after the city council got the decision overturned he said it would be late august that construction would start, but as of yet nothing has happened. Anyone know what is happening here? Just another thing thats poped in my head, it also baffles me as to why there was no drive through restaurants put in the whole plan for the Mahon point area from the start because its simple economics, the amount of traffic that passes there everyday, not to mention the young population thats in Mahon/Blackrock anyway, they would be absolutly goldmines. It just baffles me that someone like me who has no qualifications or background in the area can see this and the so called professionals who developed this area cant, as far as i can see its a massive oversight and it seems to me that its one of those things that only seems to happen in Cork and I just cant get my head around it! Anyway back to the origanal topic, the nra seem to be hell bent on stoping alot of developments in cork such as this one for whatever reason and there really starting to piss me off as well as alot of other people i would imagine(O'Flynn and his dunkettle site, also a crazy decision that i hope gets overturned), if anyone has any thoughts on this id love to here them. They must all be from kerry in there!:) Also anyone have any news or images on Owen O'Callaghans newest proposal for the area?
daniel_7

Postby barneymagee » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:56 am

Now that the new hospital is opened I would say John Cleary will turn his attention towards building this. I read somewhere that they planned to have JCBs on site by September. It's the vacant site along the side of the internal Mahon Point road. Behind the PM Building.
The City Council were right to go to the NRA about this. While the promise of jobs should not be an excuse to build anything and the NRA were right to point out the traffic issue, John Cleary is not a bluffer.
His City Gate complex in Mahon has some top tenants. McAffee, Big Fish Games, the VHI clinics.
barneymagee

Postby jungle » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:30 pm

in the times were in anything thats going to keep people in the country rather than emigrating needs to be given as much backing it can get to be honest.

I think we need to be a bit careful with that attitude.

While I am generally supportive of the Mahon project, I don't think we can just approve every project on the basis of creating jobs. There was some awful rubbish inflicted on the city in the 1980s because of that argument.

Recessions pass, bad developments stick around.

Just another thing thats poped in my head, it also baffles me as to why there was no drive through restaurants put in the whole plan for the Mahon point area from the start because its simple economics, the amount of traffic that passes there everyday, not to mention the young population thats in Mahon/Blackrock anyway, they would be absolutly goldmines. It just baffles me that someone like me who has no qualifications or background in the area can see this and the so called professionals who developed this area cant, as far as i can see its a massive oversight and it seems to me that its one of those things that only seems to happen in Cork and I just cant get my head around it!

Was this a decision of the developer or was it a planning condition?

If it was a planning condition, I guess the argument was not to bring any more traffic into the area.

If it was the developer's call, the theory is likely to be that a drive-through is quite a low density usage of land. It tends to be single-storey and surrounded by a car park. If you can put a five or six storey building on the same site, the yields are going to be better.

I suspect that's also why there were no petrol stations built in the Mahon Point area.In theory it's ideal - a lot of destination traffic, just next to a heavily-used ring road - but in practice, there are more valuable things that can be done with the site.
jungle

Postby lawyer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:14 pm

Now that this development is almost complete, I think a lot of credit is due to the developer for the quality of the finish ( and the occupiers) that he has achieved.
To persevere with such a project in the present climate was very brave.
lawyer

Return to Ireland