waterford crystal and irish architecture

waterford crystal and irish architecture

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:13 am

So what do you think their inspiration is?

"This is a very exciting time for Waterford," added Michael Craig, WWRD Group Vice President - Americas. "We had strong sales in the last quarter of 2009 and have several milestones to celebrate in 2010 that we think will continue our momentum. We are reopening our world-renowned Visitor Centre this June in Waterford, Ireland, and celebrating master artisan Jim O'Leary's 50 years with Waterford by launching an exclusive 2010 collection inspired by Irish architecture and his five decades of design."
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: waterford crystal and irish architecture

Postby KerryBog2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:14 pm

I would love to be surprised, but I'm not holding my breath.

Inspiration? Probably "We'd better get some positivity out there to cheer up the population in this unemployment blackspot."

Waterford Crystal has for years been caught in a time warp. In their view Irish architecture probably means Gandon, old Vitruvius, Franklin and that ilk. I would not expect much from a company that ignored R&D for decades - unlike competitors Swarovski and Baccarat.

A couple of years ago, when we were discussing a dreamtime project for Waterford I wrote in post 27 here http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=6141
“ Who, in this day and age, would buy a product that cannot be put in a dishwasher and has to be hand washed with care? A bit like architects insisting on wattle and daub.”

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

K.
KerryBog2

Re: waterford crystal and american architecture

Postby CologneMike » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:57 pm

The “Times Square Ball“ springs to mind.

Dish-washer definitely not recommended, suppose one could always shove it through a car-wash. ;)
Attachments
Newyearsball.jpg
Newyearsball.jpg (27.43 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Bren88 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:03 am

KerryBog2 wrote:
“ Who, in this day and age, would buy a product that cannot be put in a dishwasher and has to be hand washed with care? A bit like architects insisting on wattle and daub.”

This is nonsense imo. (unless I've misread)
WC, and similar companies, make ornaments, trophies, gifts and figure pieces. And even though they some times come in the shape of bowls, they aren't supposed to be filled with cornflakes.

As for their design, I imagine its classic irish architecture, Gandon obviously jumps out (despite non of his buildings being "Irish").
If it was to lean towards modern, I'd imagine Calatrava being a front runner
Bren88

Postby KerryBog2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:11 pm

I agree that Calatrava would be a frontrunner, but can you imagine the practicality of the glass cables, a necessary feature on any such piece?

WC depends on basic tableware for its sales - their basic product range is intended for domestic use. Making special pieces such as the Times Square Ball and Superbowl Trophy is just a means of brand promotion, similar to the loss-leading designer shops on Madison Avenue - e.g. Missoni, Chanel, etc. The lack of profit from those outlets is viewed as advertising expenditure - a shopfront on a high footfall street..

WC is trying to develop newer products such as "exclusive" pieces such as this
http://www.waterford.com/shop/product.asp?sku=17517&cat=&terms=
and this
http://www.waterford.com/shop/product.asp?sku=14432&cat=&terms=

Now, would you put either of these "exclusive signed pieces" in your home, or even pay those prices?
KerryBog2

Postby GrahamH » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:27 pm

In fairness, Kerrybog2, Cynthia Ní Mhurchú had that globe on its wallpapered pink pedestal as the star prize of Where in the World back in the day, and it was much-coveted.

You're such a snob. It would make for the perfect centrepiece to my top-lit, mirror-backed, faux mahogany cabinet from the Buckingham Collection on page 177 of the Argos catalogue.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:35 pm

tut tut Graham, that was Teresa Lowe ;)
Peter Fitz

Postby GrahamH » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:37 pm

Doh! Shame on me. Sure they're one in the same ;)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby reddy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:06 pm

They should look into commissioning Irish architects and designers to produce a new range of cutting edge designs - that might help restore some modicum of fashion to the brand and might help Irish architecture/design's branding too.

Much preferable to dodgy crystal versions of the Rock of Cashel.
reddy

Postby KerryBog2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:18 pm

KerryBog2

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:06 pm

:d

Damn Grin expression won't work, anyway very good ;)
Peter Fitz

Return to Ireland